Math course options?

• Thread starter mathwhiz
  • Start date
I'm a senior electrical engineering major and am actually having fun in this mathematical computations course I'm currently taking. I'm trying to find out what kind of math course would be beneficial in obtaining a deeper understanding Maxwell's Equations, basically gradients, dot products, and cross products in three dimensional space.

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm a senior electrical engineering major and am actually having fun in this mathematical computations course I'm currently taking. I'm trying to find out what kind of math course would be beneficial in obtaining a deeper understanding Maxwell's Equations, basically gradients, dot products, and cross products in three dimensional space.
Vector Calculus or multivariable calculus if you haven't already taken it. It also couldn't hurt to take a course on partial differential equations.

Likes Dr. Courtney
I don't know if they offer it at your school, but take a mathematical methods in physics class typically open to only physics majors but I am sure the professor wouldn't mind you taking it. It is a lot of calc 1 and 2 but it does go into things such as complex analysis and just general math that you will face in problems in e and m and such