Pablo Bahler: Physics Bachelor Questions, University of Leipzig

In summary: That being said, I think the exams are generally fair and I haven't had any complaints about how they've evaluated proofs.
pablo.93
hello, my name is pablo bahler, I am from argentina and at the moment i am finishing first year in the physics bachelor of my university. but here the bachelor lasts 5 years so i was considering studying abroad.(university of leipzig). also i have some particular questions about the math subjects in the physics bachelors all around the world. so... to the questions:

please answer these questions if you are currently doing a bachelor in physics or you know precisely this information.

1.- In calculus and algebra, do professors evaluate the proof of the theorems in final exams? if you answer please tell me the university that you are going to

2.-Do you have any information about the level of the university of leipzig in germany? is it good or bad or idk, just say anything you know about this place.(i have the swiss citizenship so i can live and study in eu, but i only speak spanish and english)

thanks! if a question is not clear please let me know

Physics news on Phys.org
pablo.93 said:
1.- In calculus and algebra, do professors evaluate the proof of the theorems in final exams? if you answer please tell me the university that you are going to

I believe that in most universities, the math courses that most physics majors take have a focus on computations and calculations rather than proofs, so I highly doubt that the professors will evaluate any proofs in the final exams.

However, you might decide to take some proof-based math courses such as complex analysis and abstract algebra if you are really interested in mathematical physics or theoretical physics. In this case, then of course you would have to possesses excellent proof-writing skills.

(sources: general knowledge)

thank you very much! in my university, physicists share the first years with mathmaticians and the totally torture us with proofs! in calculus 2 i had 70/100 points(minimum to pass is 50) and they failed my exam because i didnt write the proof of a theorem completely good.
thanks!

keep the comments coming!

In my experience from german universities (not Leipzig though, i have started with a math major in Aachen, later physics major in Cologne), even math courses for physicists tend to be rather rigorous and proof-focussed. Like maybe 70% proofs and 30% calculations in homework exercises, whereas the lectures consist of ~95% theorems and proofs.
That being said though, you probably wouldn't need to perform incredibly complicated proofs during exams, knowing how to apply major theorems to proof some corollary is the most important part.
You can take a look at the bachelor programm for physics at Leipzig yourself here: http://www.uni-leipzig.de/~physik/bachelor-physik-ipsp.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I am officially a physics student (in Mexico), and from the 22 math courses I've taken (including this semester), only 3 weren't proof-heavy.

but they tested the proofs in the finals?i mean, did you ever had to write a full hard proof as an exam excercise?

Yes, and in the most rigorous courses we weren't allowed to use (without proof) results the professor didn't prove in class.
I really enjoy doing proofs (will switch to applied math in grad school), but I can understand your frustration (many of my friends felt the same).

1. What is the focus of Pablo Bahler's physics bachelor degree at the University of Leipzig?

Pablo Bahler's physics bachelor degree at the University of Leipzig focuses on theoretical and experimental physics, with a strong emphasis on mathematical methods and problem-solving skills.

2. What career opportunities are available for graduates of Pablo Bahler's physics bachelor program?

Graduates of Pablo Bahler's physics bachelor program from the University of Leipzig have a wide range of career opportunities, including research positions in academia, industry jobs in fields such as engineering or technology, and roles in government agencies or consulting firms.

3. What is the typical duration of Pablo Bahler's physics bachelor program at the University of Leipzig?

The physics bachelor program at the University of Leipzig typically takes 3 years to complete. However, students have the option to extend their studies by one year if they wish to pursue a more specialized research project or internship.

4. What kind of research opportunities are available for students in Pablo Bahler's physics bachelor program at the University of Leipzig?

Students in Pablo Bahler's physics bachelor program at the University of Leipzig have access to a wide range of research opportunities, including working on projects in the university's labs, participating in international research collaborations, and attending conferences and workshops to present their own research.

5. Is Pablo Bahler's physics bachelor program at the University of Leipzig a good preparation for graduate studies in physics?

Yes, Pablo Bahler's physics bachelor program at the University of Leipzig is an excellent preparation for graduate studies in physics. The program provides students with a strong foundation in theoretical and experimental physics, as well as the necessary mathematical and problem-solving skills required for advanced studies in the field.