1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math degree: Thorton/Marion

1. Oct 10, 2007 #1
    I want to study mechanics but have never taken a physics course (in college). I flipped through this Thorton/Marion, and it seems pretty easy to follow. Could I start out here for studying mechanics, as opposed to starting out on the traditional texts ("Halliday/Resncick")?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2007 #2
    You are currently doing a maths degree but want a bit of dynamics?
    If you are fine with the maths then I imagine Marion would be a good place to start, but the problem could well arise that you are fine at piecing together problems using maths but do this without really being aware of the physics or thinking about the physics when you are learning the stuff.
    A textbook that is a bit more fluffy but covers a good deal of content is Kleppner & Kolenkow's 'An Introduction to Mechanics', it puts the emphasis on a physics outlook.

In fact i wish i'd bought K&K about 2 years ago and started it before i even came to university, i think it's about the best introduction..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?