Math Derivation: Solve for t - Calc 1 Help

• Thread starter ikihi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary, a derivative in math is a measure of how a function changes and is represented by the slope of the tangent line at a specific point. To find the derivative, you can use various rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. The main purpose of finding the derivative is to analyze the behavior of the function and solve real-world problems. When solving for t in a math derivation, it is important to avoid mistakes such as not using the derivative rules, making calculation errors, and not considering the domain of the function. It is also crucial to check the answer by plugging it back into the original equation.
ikihi

Homework Statement

solve for t

Homework Equations

A = P (1+r)t + c[ ((1 + r)t+ 1 - (1 + r)) / r ]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've taken calc 1, but I've been away from math for years. I'm having trouble solving this for t

Physics news on Phys.org
ikihi said:

Homework Statement

solve for t

Homework Equations

A = P (1+r)t + c[ ((1 + r)t+ 1 - (1 + r)) / r ]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've taken calc 1, but I've been away from math for years. I'm having trouble solving this for t

Try using ##(1+r)^{t+1} = (1+r) \: (1+r)^t,## then combine terms to isolate ##(1+r)^t.##

1. What is a math derivation?

A math derivation is a logical, step-by-step process used to prove a mathematical statement or solve a problem. It involves using known principles and rules to arrive at a new result.

2. How do you solve for t in a math derivation?

To solve for t in a math derivation, you need to isolate t on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to move terms to the other side of the equation.

3. What is Calc 1?

Calc 1, short for Calculus 1, is a college-level math course that covers topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. It is typically taken by students majoring in math, science, engineering, or other fields that require a strong foundation in calculus.

4. What are some common techniques used in math derivations?

Some common techniques used in math derivations include the chain rule, product rule, quotient rule, and power rule for derivatives. Other techniques may include substitution, integration by parts, and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving math derivations?

The best way to improve your skills in solving math derivations is through practice and understanding the underlying concepts. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems, to supplement your learning. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending study groups can also be beneficial.