Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math desire?

1. Sep 4, 2007 #1
    Math desire??!!!

I've been reading some books on theoretical physics lately, namely stuff by Michio Kaku.
    I am heading to college in about 3 weeks to study physics, maths and chemistry.

I don't know what it is, but I just have some desire to sit down and do some maths, to do some big important equations!!! I have only done high school maths, but I don't know what this is. I guess I just want to do something practical instead of just reading about the physics.

Any ideas?? Any thoughts?? Anything you think I could sit down and do, that would be a good challenge, but not beyond my level???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2007 #2
    real math isn't equations

4. Sep 4, 2007 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Get a textbook appropriate for your level and have fun with it. If you're going to college in three weeks, go ahead and buy the books you're going to use now, and study them for the next three weeks.

- Warren

5. Sep 4, 2007 #4
    Get "The Colossal Book of Short Puzzles and Problems" by Martin Gardner. They're great, and they'll come as close to "real math" as there could be while still be "recreational math" and "fun".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?