Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math equation tattoo

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    I am getting this tattoo on my leg:

[tex] e^{i \pi} = -1 [/tex]

What do you guys think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why not the [tex] e^{i \pi}+1=0 [/tex] version? Only slightly more painful and it works 0 in.
  4. Sep 30, 2006 #3
    I might get it that way. But I like the first one a little better. I think the negative one looks cool. Plus I can always explain to people that ask about it that if you add one to both sides then it is an equation that has all five of the fundamental numbers.
  5. Oct 1, 2006 #4
    Why would you do this?

I don't mean to spoil your fun or anything, but I don't think people are going to look at your tattoo in amazement and I don't think that they will be particularly interested that if you add 1 to both sides you will get 5 of the fundamental numbers.

I mean I'm not fan of tattoos in general because you have to live with this image etched into your skin for the rest of your life. Also I've just never thought tattoos have served any purpose at all. If you are really wanting people to see something that you consider to look cool then just print the design on a t-shirt.
  6. Oct 1, 2006 #5
    Also, you should get a less well-known peice of math done. If you have a high tolerance for pain, get a statement of the Lefshetz fixed point theorem tattooed across your chest.

The ladies love that. Trust me.
  7. Oct 1, 2006 #6

Gold Member

i considered getting an equation for a tattoo before. Probably something I'll never do though. Tattoos and piercings are excellent identity markers.
  8. Oct 1, 2006 #7
    Excellent identity markers if you die and have your body so deformed that you need to use them as identity markers, at which point you probably won't care, because you're dead.
  9. Oct 1, 2006 #8
    haha what women do you know?

huh?? They're not excellent identity markers when everyone has the same crap.

There are so many people who have equations or chinese letters tattooed on their bodies it's not funny. I'm sure it sounds unique in your (not you specifically by the way) head, but a lot of people have done it.

Then we get on to piercings. None of the modern piercings serve any purpose at all. The ring in the eyebrow makes you look like a tool, and same goes for the ring through the bottom lip and through your tongue. No offence guys :biggrin: :biggrin:

So if it isn't aesthetically pleasing to others then what other purpose is there?
  10. Oct 1, 2006 #9
    I'd get
    [tex]\ell(D) - \ell(K-D) = \deg (D) + 1 - g[/tex]

Much cooler IMO. :tongue2:
  11. Oct 1, 2006 #10

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe something like this?

Buy here!
  12. Oct 1, 2006 #11

Gold Member

There's plenty of political, legal, and paranoid-schozophrenic reasons why certain persons would want to keep their physical identity malleable while you're still alive.
  13. Oct 1, 2006 #12

But mostly schizophrenic*.

*Multiple disassociative personalitity disorder
  14. Oct 1, 2006 #13
    I heard an interesting point of view a few weeks ago: so many people have tattoos now that having no tattoos is the new tattoo.
  15. Oct 1, 2006 #14
    I agree with shmoe, go with [tex] e^{i \pi}+1=0 [/tex] if you must get a tattoo, but I agree with some of the others in that tattoos are silly.
  16. Oct 1, 2006 #15

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about the Navier Stokes equations? They'd look much more impressive.

I saw a girl last night with a pierced cleavage. Looked very strange, like she'd been bitten by a vampire with a couple of ball bearings on his teeth.
  17. Oct 1, 2006 #16
    A clever "body artist" would start marketing "Invisible Tattoos"... :biggrin:
  18. Sep 19, 2007 #17
    UV Inks and Math Tattoo

I am a (lowly) carpenter myself and I was thinking of getting several mathematical theories tattooed on my left arm. But I too worry about what "society" thinks as I run a corporation and require respect from my peers. It's hard to be taken seriously with a tattoo. Especially Harley Davidson and flying eagles and the like. I am however considering using a UV Ink that is only detectable under "Black light".. this however defeats the purpose of having all my complex angle and other "carpentry" related tattoos. If I can't see them, I can't use them.
    But f you want a tattoo that only you can see... I recommend UV inks from
  19. Mar 26, 2008 #18
    I have several tattoo's and learned with my first tattoo, drunk soldiers don't always know what they want. I have since had that one removed (at more than triple the cost of getting it) If you do get a tattoo take grusel's advice and get something meaningful to you or your profession. Had I succumed to the over whelming temptation to have my first wife's face tatt'd on my back I may not have been able to con my current love into marriage. When I passed adv calc I was gonna celebrate by getting,

"for a function f: A -> R and L >= 0
    |f(x)-f(y)| =< L|x-y| for all x,y belonging to A"

When I was explaining it to my wife (a woman with multiple tattoo's herself) she kindly pointed out how difficult it would be to point out the hilliarity behind the tat to my yet unborn son, let alone my preteen daughter. Go wisely into the inked world young jedi, make not defacement decisions hastely, for you know not what grief may come of it.
  20. Mar 26, 2008 #19
    pierced cleavage or nipple?

on topic: I personally don't like the idea of a permanent drawing on my skin, as cool as it may seem at a certain time in one's life, I'm sure one day will come when it won't seem so awesome. Plus, when you're old and wrinkly it's bound to be kind of strange looking.
  21. Mar 26, 2008 #20
    Probably cleavage. Face it, we're scientists and engineers. We don't get to see the good parts.

Sort of the same with me. I'm too indecisive. One day I want one in green, the next day in red, etc. I don't think I can come up with something that would define me for the rest of my life.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?