1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Factoring

1. Dec 9, 2006 #1

sn3

This is an incredibly stupid question, but how do you factor something like:

[tex]27x^9y^3-8z^6[/tex]

I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of finding the cube root but that doesn't sound right. Any ideas on how to help me factor this? I don't need an answer, just how to do it. Sorry if this is stupid, but I can't seem to figure it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rather than speculate whether or not an idea will work, you should try it and be sure.

4. Dec 9, 2006 #3

sn3

Hmm...I mentioned the cube root because I noticed it could make the equation simpler, but I honestly don't know what to do.

5. Dec 9, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What equation? You wrote an expression that is a difference of two terms, no equations.

Anyways, you had an idea. Did you try to use it? If not, then go do so. If you have tried your idea, then where did you get stuck?

6. Dec 9, 2006 #5
    Remember that

[tex]\alpha^2-\beta^2 = (\alpha-\beta)(\alpha+\beta)[/tex]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  7. Dec 10, 2006 #6
    I'd rather try:
    [tex]\alpha^3-\beta^3 =[/tex]

Notice, that 27 isn't a square of an integer. I may be wrong but in my opinion the equation I've written is better ...

8. Dec 10, 2006 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

[tex]\alpha^3-\beta^3 =(\alpha - \beta)(\alpha^2+\alpha\beta + \beta^2)[/tex] which can be proved by expanding the second side.

So we just substitute [itex]3x^3y = \alpha[/itex] and [itex]2z^2=\beta[/itex]

Try it, see what you get.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  9. Dec 10, 2006 #8
    Bart, Gib Z:

The reason I didn't say that was because I didn't want to give it away. Getting the OP to think about the squares would ideally lead to him/her thinking about how to factorise the difference of two cubes.

It isn't nice to solve a problem when somebody else does it for you.

10. Dec 10, 2006 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually it's proven by polynomial division.

Daniel.

11. Dec 10, 2006 #10

sn3

Sorry about that - I meant expression.

That gives me [tex]3x^3y-2z^2(9x^6y^2+6x^3y^2+4z^4)[/tex], which appears to be correct.

So this equation works for when the numbers happen to have cube roots, but what if they don't (such as [tex]28x^79y^5-18z^4[/tex]). My calculator (TI89), which is absolutely great, can do it, but I want to know how.

12. Dec 10, 2006 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It can be "proved" (shown to be true) either way, but multiplying (expanding) the right hand side is the simpler.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?