Math & Finance Majors: Questions Answered

• Programs
  • Thread starter rocomath
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with a math/finance question regarding interest earned on an investment. They are a math major considering a double major in finance and need to use a specific formula to solve the question. The final answer is $1,200.
rocomath
Are there any Math/Finance Majors in here? I am currently a Math major, but I am also thinking about doing a double-major with Finance. I start this summer, so I still have time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I'm new to this site and may be in the wrong place. If so, kindly direct me to the right place.
I wold like to solve the following question:
If the total interest earned on an investment at 8.2% compounded semiannually for 8.5 years was $1,175.98, what was the original investment?
I would like to know what formula(s) to use.
Thank you in advance.
Makman

Makman said:
Hi, I'm new to this site and may be in the wrong place. If so, kindly direct me to the right place.
I wold like to solve the following question:
If the total interest earned on an investment at 8.2% compounded semiannually for 8.5 years was $1,175.98, what was the original investment?
I would like to know what formula(s) to use.
Thank you in advance.
Makman
You have to use the formula

P=A(1+r/m)^-(m*t)

A is you actual ammount
r is your rate
m is your compound, in your case m will be 2
t is the time in years

Remember that the formula has a negative exponent!

Thank you!
Yes, I worked it out. $1,200.

Much appreciated.

1. What is the difference between a math major and a finance major?

A math major focuses on the study of mathematical concepts and theories, while a finance major focuses on the application of those concepts to financial decision making and analysis. Math majors often take more theoretical and abstract courses, while finance majors take more practical and applied courses.

2. Can I pursue a career in finance with a math degree?

Yes, many math majors go on to have successful careers in finance. The strong analytical and problem-solving skills gained from a math degree are highly valued in the finance industry. However, it may be beneficial to also take some finance courses or pursue a minor in finance to gain a better understanding of the industry.

3. What kind of job opportunities are available for math and finance majors?

There are a wide range of job opportunities available for math and finance majors. Some common career paths include financial analyst, data analyst, actuary, risk manager, investment banker, and financial planner. These majors are also highly sought after in industries such as consulting, technology, and government.

4. Is a math or finance major more challenging?

This can vary depending on the individual and their strengths and interests. Generally, math majors tend to be more theoretical and abstract, while finance majors are more applied and practical. Both require strong analytical and critical thinking skills, so it is important to choose a major that aligns with your strengths and interests.

5. What skills do I need to succeed as a math or finance major?

To succeed in math and finance majors, it is important to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and theories. Additionally, strong communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work with large amounts of data are also important skills to have in these fields.