1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math for grad school

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    I'm an undergrad chemical engineer. I may switch to chemistry or materials science/engineering. I've taken abstract algebra, which sucked a lot. I should have taken the other professor's section.

Anyways, I hate proofs. I'm wondering if I should continue math with real analysis. I heard that some people in grad school have to take undergrad math courses because they needed it, but haven't taken them in college. I don't think I will be needing anymore theoretical math, since I hate proofs and I don't need them for research in engineering.

On the other hand, I LOVE applied math. The things you can do with matrices are very interesting to me.

Can I have some suggestions
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2
    Some important topics I think are

Partial Differential Equations
    Vector Calculus
    Multiple Integrals
    Fourier Series/ Transforms
    Matrices/ Eigenvectors/ Eigenfunctions/ Eigenvalues

This is just some of the mathematics that I have covered in my physics degree to date.

Real analysis does include some topics like Hilbert Spaces, which I have come accross. But it seems to cover convergence and limits of sequences and things like that. I reckon there are better mathematics courses you could take.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook