1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math for Grad School

1. Jul 1, 2011 #1
    Are there any specific math classes that grad schools prefer you take beyond the requirements of the physics major? I hear physics majors taking things like real analysis and other things I see no point in taking because of how little application I see. I'm pretty good with math in general and already have a copy of Boas.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2011 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

What sort of specialization (or pre-specialization) do you want to go into? Also are you talking grad school for physics and asking for advice about math subjects? (Just to clarify)

4. Jul 1, 2011 #3
    Applied Physics. Electronic stuff: semiconductor physics and devices, optoelectronics, nanoscale tech, etc. That's as specific as i can get at this point in my carrier.

5. Jul 1, 2011 #4
    Well, theoretical physics can be formulated in heavy mathematical language, assuming knowledge of the so-called bread and butter mathematics. Real analysis is obviously there, but it really depends what you want to do.

There are 2 levels of math - the level where you're learning a few nice results and learning how to communicate..and then the level where you're going above and beyond to produce something. I suspect strongly that for most theoretical physics, you needn't go beyond the first stage. The second stage starts to overlap with so-called Mathematical Physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook