QM Math: Multivariable Calc for Physics

• Thread starter Alem2000
  • Start date
In summary: WOW thanks a whole lot ZAPPERZ! Your journals are very helpful. I went and checked out the book on amazon and its a bit expensive but ill try and get it for christmas. What I ment to ask in this thread was what is the prerequisit math for quantum mechanics, you know how the say to take electricity and magnetism you should have taken integral calculus and currently should be taking multivariable. By the way what about MATLAB for physics majors? My counselor thought it would be a good idea for me to take a sperate course in matlab(although it is not required), I think it is a great idea, what do you think?Actually, I don't recommend taking a
Alem2000
I was wondering how much math you need to know to do quantum mechanics? Is multivariable calculus sufficient?

Physics news on Phys.org
Linear Algebra strikes me as being pretty important too. In any case, the more math, the better

Alem2000 said:
I was wondering how much math you need to know to do quantum mechanics? Is multivariable calculus sufficient?

It is dangerous to think that (1) one can narrow down what "tools" one needs for doing quantum mechanics and (2) that one can just learn QM alone without bother about the other physics areas such as classical mechanics and classical E&M.

What you should learn is the mathematics to do physics. It is the only way that I know of to do and start to understand QM. There are many books (even one I recommend without hesitation in one of my journal entry) that cover mathematical physics. Pick one up!

Zz.

WOW thanks a whole lot ZAPPERZ! Your journals are very helpful. I went and checked out the book on amazon and its a bit expensive but ill try and get it for christmas. What I ment to ask in this thread was what is the prerequisit math for quantum mechanics, you know how the say to take electricity and magnetism you should have taken integral calculus and currently should be taking multivariable. By the way what about MATLAB for physics majors? My counselor thought it would be a good idea for me to take a sperate course in matlab(although it is not required), I think it is a great idea, what do you think?

Last edited:
Alem2000 said:
WOW thanks a whole lot ZAPPERZ! Your journals are very helpful. I went and checked out the book on amazon and its a bit expensive but ill try and get it for christmas. What I ment to ask in this thread was what is the prerequisit math for quantum mechanics, you know how the say to take electricity and magnetism you should have taken integral calculus and currently should be taking multivariable. By the way what about MATLAB for physics majors? My counselor thought it would be a good idea for me to take a sperate course in matlab(although it is not required), I think it is a great idea, what do you think?

Unfortunately, a lot of textbooks are expensive (at least here in the US), unless they are published by Dover. If it's any consolation, I did not recommend that Boas text lightly, and I fully expect it to be buried with me when I die (along with Mattuck's book). :)

I didn't realize that there's a whole course just on matlab. I suppose it couldn't hurt since it is one of the popular numerical packages that many people use. However, as I've mentioned, you should also learn the various numerical technique and be able to write codes for them. At the advanced/research front level, most of these packages are not able to handle the sophisticated and complex tasks. So knowing the basics of numerical programming is a good skill to have.

Zz.

1. What is Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of more than one variable. It involves concepts such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus, which are used to study and analyze systems with multiple variables, such as those found in physics.

2. How is Multivariable Calculus used in Physics?

Multivariable calculus is essential in physics because it allows us to describe and analyze complex systems with multiple variables. For example, it is used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to multiple variables, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of physical systems. It also plays a vital role in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics.

3. What are the key concepts in Multivariable Calculus?

The key concepts in Multivariable Calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and the gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field. These concepts are used to study and analyze functions of multiple variables, including their rates of change, extrema, and behavior in different directions.

4. How does Multivariable Calculus differ from Single Variable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus differs from Single Variable Calculus in that it deals with functions of more than one variable. This means that instead of studying functions on a single number line, we are now working with functions on multiple axes and in higher dimensions. Multivariable Calculus also introduces new concepts, such as partial derivatives and multiple integrals, to deal with these more complex functions.

5. What are the real-world applications of Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus has numerous real-world applications, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems in the physical world, such as fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and economic systems. It is also used in computer graphics to create 3D models and animations, and in machine learning to optimize algorithms and make predictions based on multiple variables.