Math Grad Schools in Canada?

In summary, At most schools you'll have to first be accepted into the masters program then if your marks are high enough in first year or first term, you can be accelerated into the doctoral programs. In some schools you can be accepted straight into the doctoral program with very high undergrad marks. It is generally easier to get into a PhD program in Canada than a masters program in the US, but this might not be the case for all programs. There are some differences between US and Canadian PhD programs, but they are not always significant.
PieceOfPi
I am a senior math major in the US who would like to go to a graduate school in mathematics. I am still in a process of finding where to apply. Most of the schools that I have been looking so far are in the U.S., but recently I realized there are some decent schools in Canada as well (U British Columbia, McGill, etc.). I know nothing about Canadian schools, so I was wondering what it is like to apply and possible go to a math graduate program in Canada. Is there any significant difference between US programs and Canadian programs?

One thing I heard is that most of the Canadian Ph. D. programs would accept you only if you have a master's degree, but is this true? I also heard they also pay for master's students as well, but is this just a rumor?

Physics news on Phys.org
PieceOfPi said:
One thing I heard is that most of the Canadian Ph. D. programs would accept you only if you have a master's degree, but is this true? I also heard they also pay for master's students as well, but is this just a rumor?
The general policy is Master's first, then PhD, but you can check the universities' websites if there are any exceptions to that. I know UofT seems to accept students straight out of undergrad, so maybe there's other universities like that. Funding for Master's students does seem to be provided usually, at least that's what I could gather looking at various universities' websites. I've looked for Physics, not Maths, though, so I don't know if there are any differences. Your best bet is to just check the particular departments you're interested in, because there aren't really any general answers to your questions, and if there are, you can always find an exception.

At most schools you'll have to first be accepted into the masters program then if your marks are high enough in first year or first term, you can be accelerated into the doctoral programs. In some schools you can be accepted straight into the doctoral program with very high undergrad marks.

I'm also considering applying to math grad schools in Canada.
1. Do you have to be really exceptional to enter the MS in Canada but then do your phD in the US?
2. Also, if I get my MS in Canada but then apply to phD programs in the US, do I have to take classes and the comprehensive exam at the phD program in the US? Or will I just go straight into the phD research?
3. If I get my MS in Canada but then apply for phD in US, will I be considered a domestic or foreign applicant? If I'll be considered foreign, then having to get nearly a perfect score for the math GRE to apply to US phD programs won't be fun..
4. How much easier is it to get into the top Canada MS programs compared to the top US phD programs?

Last edited:

I would like to provide some insights and information about graduate programs in mathematics in Canada. First of all, Canada has a strong reputation for its high-quality education and research in mathematics, with several top-ranked universities offering graduate programs in this field. Some of the notable ones include the University of British Columbia, McGill University, University of Toronto, and the University of Waterloo.

In terms of the application process, it is quite similar to the US. Most Canadian universities require applicants to have a strong undergraduate background in mathematics, including courses in analysis, algebra, and geometry. Additionally, most programs also require applicants to submit GRE scores and letters of recommendation.

Regarding the difference between US and Canadian programs, there are a few key distinctions. One is the length of the program. In Canada, most Ph.D. programs in mathematics are four years, while in the US, they are typically five to six years. Additionally, as you mentioned, some Canadian programs may require applicants to have a master's degree before applying for a Ph.D. However, this is not always the case, and some universities may offer direct admission to their Ph.D. programs for exceptional candidates.

Regarding funding, it is true that many Canadian universities offer full funding for both master's and Ph.D. students, including tuition waivers and stipends. However, this may vary depending on the university and the specific program you are applying to. It is always best to check with the university's graduate program office for more information about funding opportunities.

In conclusion, Canadian graduate programs in mathematics are highly respected and offer excellent opportunities for students to pursue advanced studies and research in this field. I would recommend exploring different universities and their specific program requirements to find the best fit for your academic and career goals. Best of luck in your search!

1. What are the top math graduate schools in Canada?

Some of the top math graduate schools in Canada include the University of Toronto, the University of British Columbia, McGill University, the University of Waterloo, and the University of Alberta.

2. What are the admission requirements for math graduate programs in Canada?

Admission requirements for math graduate programs in Canada vary by school, but generally include a strong undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a statement of purpose. Some schools may also require applicants to have completed specific math courses or have research experience.

3. What types of math graduate degrees are offered in Canada?

Canadian universities offer a variety of math graduate degrees, including Master of Science (MSc) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees in various specialized areas such as pure mathematics, applied mathematics, and statistics. Some schools also offer professional degrees, such as a Master of Mathematical Finance (MMF) or a Master of Data Science (MDS).

4. Are there any scholarships or financial aid options available for math graduate students in Canada?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for math graduate students in Canada. These include government-funded scholarships, such as the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) scholarships, as well as university-specific scholarships and funding opportunities.

5. What is the job market like for math graduates in Canada?

The job market for math graduates in Canada is generally strong, with opportunities in industries such as finance, technology, and government. Graduates with advanced degrees may also find opportunities in academia as professors or researchers. However, the job market can vary depending on the specific field of math and the current economic climate.