Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math help? Concurrent schedules of reinforcement

1. Dec 12, 2014 #1
    In concurrent schedules of reinforcement [a mouse has a choice between pressing a button to get sugar or pressing it to get cheese], the choice or preference between the two alternative response is calculated by the relative rate of response and is represented by the quotient:

Ra
    ___
    Ra + Rb

Where Ra and Rb represent the rate of response in option a and option b, respectively.
    [I guess they mean option a is pressing the sugar and b is the cheese]

~~~~~~
    Does this make sense to anyone? I don't understand why you divide those things into each other or what sort of use the answer you get could possibly be.

Let's say he presses the button for sugar 5 times and for cheese twice

5/(5 + 2)
    =0.7

Ok now he presses the button for sugar twice and for cheese 5 times.
    2/(2+5)
    =0.1

What the goose use is that to anyone!?

Is there something missing? Should it say something like "anything over .5 means a is preferred and anything under .5 means b is preffered? Would that make sense?

Maybe it's just so obvious they can't be bothered to mention it .

I translated this, here's the original, in case i messed up:
    Volviendo a los programas concurrentes, la elección o preferencia entre las alternativas de respuesta se
    calcula por la tasa relativa de respuesta y se representa por el cociente:
    Donde Ra y Rb representan, respectivamente, la tasa de respuesta en la alternativa a y la tasa de respuesta
    en la alternativa b.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook