Math Help: Solving Equations with Logarithms and Square Roots

• Thread starter LinkMage
  • Start date
In summary, the person is having trouble with the second equation and needs help getting it solved. They say that they finally figured out how to do it and thanks to the person who helped them.
LinkMage
1) I need to express n in terms of X in this equation:

[tex] X = \frac {10^n-1} {10^n} [/tex]

I got to this so far but I don't know if I'm on the right path or not and I don't know how to continue:

[tex] \log {X} + n = \log {(10^n-1)} [/tex]

2) I have to prove this:

[tex] \frac {1} {\sqrt{4-2\sqrt {3}}} = \frac {\sqrt{3}+1} {2} [/tex]

Don't know how to continue from here:

[tex] \frac {\sqrt{2} \sqrt {2+\sqrt {3}}} {2} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
For number one:
[tex] X = \frac {10^n-1} {10^n} [/tex]
[tex] X = 1 - \frac {1} {10^n} [/tex]
Which gives you:
[tex] 1 - X = \frac {1} {10^n} [/tex]

Can you go from here?

For (2), note that:

[tex]1+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}=(a+b)^2[/tex]

a and b has to be the expression you're trying to show right?

[tex] 2 = (\sqrt{3}+1) {\sqrt{4-2\sqrt {3}}} [/tex]
[tex] 4 = (\sqrt{3}+1)^2 (4-2\sqrt {3}) [/tex]

Now expand the square, then expand everything, then simplify to show left = right.

This is the answer for the first one, isn't it?

[tex] n = -\log {(1-X)} [/tex]

It was easy, but I don't know why I couldn't do it. Thanks a lot.

I'm having serious trouble with the second one

EnumaElish said:
[tex] 2 = (\sqrt{3}+1) {\sqrt{4-2\sqrt {3}}} [/tex]
[tex] 4 = (\sqrt{3}+1)^2 (4-2\sqrt {3}) [/tex]

Now expand the square, then expand everything, then simplify to show left = right.

I suppose you got those equalities by rearranging the terms in the first equation. The thing is that the problem just says simplify:

[tex] \frac {1} {\sqrt{4-2\sqrt {3}}} [/tex]

I'm sorry, it was my mistake. The second part is the answer given by the teacher.

Also, do you mean I have to replace those equations in

[tex] \sqrt{4+2\sqrt {3} [/tex]

to get

[tex] \sqrt {(\sqrt{3}+1)^2 (4-2\sqrt {3}) + [(\sqrt{3}+1) {\sqrt{4-2\sqrt {3}}}] \sqrt {3}} [/tex]

Okay. Here is what you should do :
You know that:
[tex](\alpha + \beta) ^ 2 = \alpha ^ 2 + 2\alpha \beta + \beta ^ 2[/tex]
You will try to arrange [tex]\aqrt{4 - 2 \sqrt{3}}[/tex] into something like: [tex](\alpha + \beta) ^ 2[/tex] Then you can easily take the square root of it.
So you have [tex]\alpha ^ 2 + \beta ^ 2 = 4 \mbox{, and } \alpha \beta = -\sqrt{3}[/tex]
Can you solve for [itex]\alpha[/itex], and [itex]\beta[/itex]?
Then can you solve : [tex]\sqrt{(\alpha + \beta) ^ 2}[/tex]? Just remember that:
[tex]\sqrt{A ^ 2} = |A|[/tex]
Viet Dao,

Last edited:
I finally did it. Thanks a lot Viet Dao. I would never have guessed I had to do that.

What are logarithms and square roots?

Logarithms and square roots are mathematical operations used to solve equations and manipulate numbers. Logarithms are the inverse operation of exponentiation, while square roots are the inverse operation of squaring a number.

How do I solve equations with logarithms and square roots?

To solve equations with logarithms and square roots, you must isolate the variable by using inverse operations. This means undoing any operations that are being applied to the variable. For example, if the variable is inside a square root, you would square both sides of the equation to eliminate the square root.

What are the properties of logarithms and square roots?

The properties of logarithms and square roots include the power, product, and quotient rules. The power rule states that the logarithm of a number raised to a power is equal to the product of the power and the logarithm of the number. The product rule states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. The quotient rule states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator.

Can I use a calculator to solve equations with logarithms and square roots?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve equations with logarithms and square roots. Most scientific calculators have a logarithm and square root function, making it easier to solve these types of equations. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the concepts and properties involved in order to use a calculator correctly.

Why are logarithms and square roots important in math?

Logarithms and square roots are important in math because they allow us to solve complex equations and manipulate numbers in a more efficient way. They are also used in various fields such as science, engineering, and finance to simplify calculations and solve problems that involve large numbers or exponential growth. Understanding logarithms and square roots can also help in understanding more advanced mathematical concepts.