How do I solve for y in the equation 3y^{\frac{2}{3}}=x?

• Thread starter footprints
  • Start date
In summary, to make y the subject in the equation 3y^(2/3)=x, we need to cube both sides to get y^2=(x/3)^3, and then take the square root of both sides to get y=(x/3)^(3/2), which can also be written as y=\sqrt{(\frac{x}{3})^{3}}. This is possible due to the law of indices that states a^mn=(a^m)^n.
footprints
[tex]3y^{\frac{2}{3}}=x[/tex]
How do I make y the subject?
[tex]y^{\frac{2}{3}}=\frac{x}{3}[/tex]
Then what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
y >= 0
Then
[tex]y = \sqrt[\frac{2}{3}]{\frac{x}{3}} = \sqrt{(\frac{x}{3})^{3}} [/tex]
Hope it help,
Viet Dao,

[tex]y = \sqrt[\frac{2}{3}]{\frac{x}{3}} = \sqrt{(\frac{x}{3})^{3}}[/tex]
How did you go from [tex]\sqrt[\frac{2}{3}]{\frac{x}{3}}[/tex] to [tex]\sqrt{(\frac{x}{3})^{3}}[/tex]

footprints said:
How did you go from [tex]\sqrt[\frac{2}{3}]{\frac{x}{3}}[/tex] to [tex]\sqrt{(\frac{x}{3})^{3}}[/tex]

Using the law of indicies that says a^mn = (a^m)^n.

y^(2/3) = x/3

Cube both sides: y^2 = (x/3)^3

Now square root both sides: y = (x/3)^3/2 = [(x/3)^3]^1/2, which is what you have (I can't use LaTeX properly, oops).

That root in the LHS is another way of writing
[tex] (\frac{x}{3})^{\frac{3}{2}}=[(\frac{x}{3})^{3}]^{\frac{1}{2}}=\sqrt{(\frac{x}{3})^{3}} [/tex]

Daniel.

Nylex said:
Using the law of indicies that says a^mn = (a^m)^n.

y^(2/3) = x/3

Cube both sides: y^2 = (x/3)^3

Now square root both sides: y = (x/3)^3/2 = [(x/3)^3]^1/2, which is what you have (I can't use LaTeX properly, oops).
Oh ya! Forgot about that. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the help guys!

What is the process for making y the subject?

Making y the subject involves using algebraic manipulation to isolate y on one side of the equation. This can be done by performing inverse operations on both sides of the equation until y is the only term on one side.

Can any equation be solved for y?

In most cases, yes. As long as the equation follows mathematical rules and has a unique solution, y can be solved for. However, some equations may have no solution or infinite solutions.

What are the most common steps for making y the subject?

The most common steps for making y the subject include: identifying what operations are currently being performed on y, performing the inverse of those operations on both sides of the equation, and simplifying the equation until y is the only term remaining on one side.

What should I do if there are multiple y terms in the equation?

If there are multiple y terms in the equation, try to combine them into one term by factoring out the common factor. Then, follow the usual steps for making y the subject. If it is not possible to combine the y terms, you may need to use more advanced algebraic techniques.

Is there a specific order in which I should perform operations when making y the subject?

Yes, it is important to follow the order of operations (PEMDAS) when solving equations and making y the subject. This means performing operations in the following order: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and finally addition and subtraction (from left to right).