1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Help

1. Jun 6, 2005 #1
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Notice that when x = 2, |x - 2| and |f(x) - 7| are both zero. If you graph those two absolute value functions you will see a "V" within a "V". Suppose [tex]\delta[/tex] is 1. For that value of [tex]\delta[/tex], x will have a maximum and minimum value that satisfies [tex]|x - 2| < \delta[/tex]. If you use those limiting values of x, and look to the graph of |f(x) - 7| you will see that those values correspond to a certain value of |f(x) - 7|. That value is the value of [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. For all values of x between those limiting values, [tex]|f(x) - 7| < \epsilon[/tex]. You can find a relationship between [tex]\delta[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon[/tex] that shows they are proportional.

4. Jun 7, 2005 #3
    [tex]\epsilon[/tex] divided by 3 is what i got... i dont know if i did it right

5. Jun 7, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good to me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?