1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Help

1. Jun 6, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2005 #2
    Please try not to double post, it can be confusing for those helping you.

4. Jun 6, 2005 #3
    sorry... i posted in physics and didnt realize it... and i didnt know how to move it

5. Jun 7, 2005 #4

hen

books

if you know hebrew, he IS THE GURU... (many good ppl in the hebrew univ' learned from it)
    David Maizler, "Heshbon Infinitesimali"
    English:
    Morris Kline's "Calculus, An Intuitive & Physical Approach". ISBN: 0-486-40453-6
    rigorous text, not an intuitive one:
    Spivak, CALCULUS Courant & John, INTRODUCTION TO CALCULUS AND ANALYSIS Apostol, CALCULUS

6. Jun 7, 2005 #5
    eh? what are you talking about, this is a basic calculus problem to demonstrate the definition of the derivative.

eutopia, notice that you can write:

[tex]| 3x - 6 | < \epsilon[/tex]
    [tex]| x - 2 | < \delta[/tex]

What if we multiplied the second inequality by 3?

and be sure to check your book again...i would be surprised if your calculus text did not have a section on the modern definition of the derivative.

7. Jun 7, 2005 #6
    Shalom, ma shlomha?

Let's cheat a little.

You know the slope of the line is 3, right? Since f(x) = 3x + 1, then m = 3.

It is not hard to imagine that "e" and "d" are rise and run. So we could write this: 3 = e/d.

The question is, for every rise, is there a run (for every e, is there a d)? The answer is yes. We know that 3 = e/d, we can solve for d:

d = e / 3.

This is just another way to help you think of the problem. e and d is the slope finding game. I give you an e, you give me a d.

Does the line 3x + 1 have a slope everywhere? Of course.

Now, this method covers the trivial case, but it gives you another way to look at it. Imagine a function besides a line that does not have one single slope, like m = 3, then you start getting into slope functions.

--SR

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?