Find the average acceleration of the mass during the time interval

In summary, the formula for average acceleration during the time interval from -t to t is a(-t,t)=\frac{(v(t)-v(-t))}{(t-(-t))}. After deriving v(t) and v(-t), we can simplify the x and y terms to get 2R\omega cos(\omega t) in the y hat direction. This is due to the cancellation of sine terms and the simplification of cosine terms according to the rule sin(-x) = -sin(x).
quicknote
I'm suppossed to find the average acceleration of the mass during the time interval from -t to t.
The formula I'm using is [tex]a(-t,t)=\frac{(v(t)-v(-t))}{(t-(-t))} [/tex]

I've already derived v(t) and v(-t) but I'm not sure how to simplify them after subtracting them.

[tex]v(t)=-R\omega sin(\omega t)*\hat{x}+R\omega cos(\omega t)\hat{y}[/tex]
[tex]v(-t)=-R\omega sin(\omega (-t))\hat{x}+R\omega cos(\omega (-t))\hat{y}[/tex]

I got as far as grouping the x and y terms...after that I don't know how else to simplify

[tex][(-R \omega \hat{x}) ((sin(\omega t)+sin(\omega (-t))] + [(R \omega \hat{y}) ((cos \omega t) -cos (\omega (-t))] [/tex]

Any help is appreciated.
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
from what you have, i get that the velocities all cancel out. [tex] sin(\omega t) + sin (-\omega t) = sin(\omega t) -sin(\omega t)=0[/tex] because [tex] sin(-\omega t)= -sin(\omega t)[/tex]

ok, well just the sine's cancel...

the cosines simplify [tex] R\omega cos(\omega t) - R\omega cos(-\omega t)= R\omega(cos(\omega t) - cos(-\omega t))= R\omega( cos(\omega t) + cos(\omega t))= 2R\omega cos(\omega t)[/tex]

and that's all in the y hat direction. so all your acceleration is vertical.

Last edited:
Thanks Gale!

I didn't know this rule: sin(-x) = -sin (x) :redface:

quicknote said:
Thanks Gale!

I didn't know this rule: sin(-x) = -sin (x) :redface:

hah, don't feel so bad... i didn't either, but i drew it out. when you look at the picture, obviously they're equal.

1. What is the formula for finding average acceleration?

The formula for finding average acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. How do you calculate the average acceleration of a mass?

To calculate the average acceleration of a mass, you need to measure the mass's final velocity and initial velocity during a given time interval. Then, plug these values into the formula a = (vf - vi) / t to find the average acceleration.

3. What is the unit of measurement for average acceleration?

The unit of measurement for average acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²). This unit represents how much an object's velocity changes per second.

4. Can average acceleration be negative?

Yes, average acceleration can be negative. This occurs when an object's velocity decreases during a given time interval. A negative average acceleration is often referred to as deceleration or slowing down.

5. How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity of an object over a given time interval. Instantaneous acceleration, on the other hand, is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated using calculus by finding the derivative of an object's velocity function.