1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Help

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1
    I'm suppossed to find the average acceleration of the mass during the time interval from -t to t.
    The formula I'm using is [tex]a(-t,t)=\frac{(v(t)-v(-t))}{(t-(-t))} [/tex]

I've already derived v(t) and v(-t) but I'm not sure how to simplify them after subtracting them.

[tex]v(t)=-R\omega sin(\omega t)*\hat{x}+R\omega cos(\omega t)\hat{y}[/tex]
    [tex]v(-t)=-R\omega sin(\omega (-t))\hat{x}+R\omega cos(\omega (-t))\hat{y}[/tex]

I got as far as grouping the x and y terms...after that I don't know how else to simplify

[tex][(-R \omega \hat{x}) ((sin(\omega t)+sin(\omega (-t))] + [(R \omega \hat{y}) ((cos \omega t) -cos (\omega (-t))] [/tex]

Any help is appreciated.
    thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2
    from what you have, i get that the velocities all cancel out. [tex] sin(\omega t) + sin (-\omega t) = sin(\omega t) -sin(\omega t)=0[/tex] because [tex] sin(-\omega t)= -sin(\omega t)[/tex]

ok, well just the sine's cancel...

the cosines simplify [tex] R\omega cos(\omega t) - R\omega cos(-\omega t)= R\omega(cos(\omega t) - cos(-\omega t))= R\omega( cos(\omega t) + cos(\omega t))= 2R\omega cos(\omega t)[/tex]

and thats all in the y hat direction. so all your acceleration is vertical.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  4. Oct 5, 2005 #3
    Thanks Gale!

I didn't know this rule: sin(-x) = -sin (x) :redface:

5. Oct 5, 2005 #4
    hah, don't feel so bad... i didn't either, but i drew it out. when you look at the picture, obviously they're equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?