1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math homework help

1. Mar 31, 2005 #1
    does this seem right?
    lim (sin3x)/(x+3x^2)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2005 #2
    sin(3x) = 0
    x-> 0
  4. Apr 1, 2005 #3
    do you know l'Hopital's rule?
  5. Apr 1, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you rewrite your equation in order to use:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{\sin(3x)}{3x}=1[/tex]?
  6. Apr 1, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't you mean [tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{3 \sin(x)}{3x}=1[/tex]?

Or are you just taking advantage of the fact, that near zero, sin x = x?

L'Hopital's Rule is certainly the easiest way to solve this. If you haven't learned it yet, check the table of contents and find it. Some books teach it very early on and some wait to teach it until later on. It's easy enough to learn that I'd learn it early even if the course waits until later.

For your equation, it's simply the derivative of the top divided by the derivative of the bottom. You can do that whenever your limit winds up 0/0, or infinity/infinity.

In other words:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{\sin(3x)}{x+3x^2}=\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{3 \cos(3x)}{1+6x}[/tex]?
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  7. Apr 1, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, Galileo meant [tex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{sin(3x)}{3x}= 1[/tex] just like he said.

Sort of, though I wouldn't say it like that. sin x is NOT equal to x "near zero". They are only equal AT 0. What you meant to say, I am sure, is that sin x is close to x for x close to 0 and the become close as x goes to 0: [tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{sin x}{x}= 1[/tex] and [tex]\frac{sin(3x)}{x}= \frac{3 sin(3x)}{3x}= 3\frac{sin(y)}{y}[/tex] where y= 3x. In other words, [tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{sin(3x)}{x}= \lim_{x \to 0}3\frac{sin 3x}{3x}= 3\lim_{y \to 0}\frac{sin(y)}{y}= 3[/tex].

In my opinion, it is far simpler to use Galileo's idea than to use L'Hopital.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  8. Apr 1, 2005 #7
    Yes, it is. L'Hopital's result is too strong for this problem. Although it will of course get you the answer quite readily, it's a lot harder to prove than the things Galileo's method needs :wink:

Nevertheless, if he did know l'Hopital's rule, it would be the obvious path~
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?