What happens when math and humor collide?

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Humor
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of creating a math or science-based comic strip, with one person expressing interest in creating a math humor strip. The group also discusses the popularity of the comic strip "Foxtrot" and its use of puzzles and political commentary. One person also shares their experience with creating a comic strip and encourages others to give it a try.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
Usually comic strips avoid anything that requires math or science.

http://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/

This url will work only today, November 8, 2006 until midnight EST.
Otherwise you'll have to use the "previous" selection and find Nov 8.

Physics news on Phys.org
haha, excellent
is there a way to copy the picture off the website. normal rightclick save doesn't seem to do it

you could always take a screenshot.

ctrl+Print scrn

Got to say I didn't find that too great, but hey, at least they tried.

I can't look!

I'm thinking of writing a math humour comic strip soon. I want to be original.

I was so close to looking too.

Yeah, Foxtrot is one of my favorites. Sometimes they have some pretty dang hard puzzles in the strip too! He sure reamed electronic voting machines before the election -- not sure where that came from, but it was clever and funny nontheless.

berkeman said:
Yeah, Foxtrot is one of my favorites. Sometimes they have some pretty dang hard puzzles in the strip too! He sure reamed electronic voting machines before the election -- not sure where that came from, but it was clever and funny nontheless.

I decided to keep to Politics and personal opinions out of my comic strip. Since I see my readers everyday, I wouldn't want them lashing out at me because I feel differently.

For anyone out there who's thinking about writing comics, go for it! It's a lot of fun. Challenging too because you have deadlines all the freaking time.

1. What is math humor?

Math humor is a type of humor that involves mathematical concepts and formulas to create jokes or puns. It often requires a basic understanding of math to understand the punchline.

2. Is math humor only for people who are good at math?

No, math humor can be enjoyed by anyone with a basic understanding of math. While some jokes may require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts, many are accessible to a wide range of people.

3. Where can I find math humor?

There are many sources for math humor, including books, websites, and social media accounts dedicated to sharing math jokes and puns. You can also create your own math humor by playing with numbers and equations.

4. Can math humor be used in educational settings?

Yes, math humor can be a great way to engage students and make difficult concepts more approachable. It can also be used to break up a long lesson and add some lightheartedness to the classroom.

5. Why is math humor important?

Math humor can help alleviate the fear and anxiety that some people may feel towards math. It can also make learning math more enjoyable and memorable. Additionally, it can be a fun way to showcase the creativity and versatility of mathematical concepts.