Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math in email?

1. Sep 22, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I wonder if there is a proper way of discussing physics and maths in email. Of course, you can just use the LaTeX code, and mostly everybody will understand it. But wouldn't it be nicer if you got real formulas displayed in your Email-prog instead? But until now I found no email-program which can convert the code to graphics.

I've been searching for such a program/plugin a long time now. Perhaps somebody here can help me out.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can't you write code in HTML? Not that I could, of course.

4. Sep 22, 2005 #3
    I guess you could, but lots of people don't like HTML-mails. It wouldn't be very nice to use either.
    What I'm looking for is a solution which makes up the formulas from the tex-code, just like the software in this forum does, everytime it sees a [tex]-tag. A plugin for Mozilla Thunderbird would be great, for example, but no one seems to have ever thought of it.

5. Sep 22, 2005 #4
    Get a Mac and use a program called equation service. You can write latex and the service will convert your code to a GIF/PDF. Gotta love the Macintosh!!!

6. Sep 22, 2005 #5
    As far as I know there are such programs for my Linuxbox, too. But I just want to get latex-equations displayed by a regular mail program, without opening a gif/pdf. Of course, the mail software may use the "equation service" or alike to create gifs and display them in the text, but it should do it from the received mails in which the formulas were entered latex-style.

I think this feature is so simple and useful that I can't believe nobody did it. Perhaps I'll try to figure it out when I learned a little more programming.

Anyway, thanks for your attempts to help me.

7. Sep 22, 2005 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try MathType.

Your work version of Microsoft office should have EquationEditor built in (if you can find it). MathType is an upgrade over EquationEditor and is compatible so you can transport equations from home to office, etc.

You can download a 30 day trial for free and if you don't buy it, the trial version reverts to MathType Lite - virtually the same as EquationEditor.

MathType Lite and EquationEditor equations can be pasted into E-Mails as a picture, but the MathType version is designed to work better with just about all your Microsoft office programs.

Edit: Darn, and I was hoping this had something to do with having an E-Mail affair with MathIsHard. :grumpy:

8. Sep 22, 2005 #7
    Ooooooohhhh, I like this way of discussion..

9. Sep 22, 2005 #8

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you like in this dry, technical, humorless discussion, djeipa?

10. Sep 22, 2005 #9
    how do you use that LaTeX thing anyways?

11. Sep 22, 2005 #10

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just click on any LaTeX "image" and follow the link you will see at the bottom.

12. Sep 22, 2005 #11
    what LaTeX "image"?

13. Sep 22, 2005 #12

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

E.g. under Math threads. Or click on [tex]\frame{\text{ this }\LaTeX\text{ image }}[/tex] and then on LaTeX code reference link in the popup window.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  14. Sep 22, 2005 #13
    [itex]/latex[/itex]see if this works

15. Sep 22, 2005 #14

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have fun... :smile:

16. Sep 22, 2005 #15

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?