Creating Beautiful Maths and Physics Email with LaTeX

In summary, people seem to like email discussions that are dry, technical, and humorless. They would like to see more formulas displayed in their email programs, and a plugin for Mozilla Thunderbird would be great.
MrSeaman
Hi,

I wonder if there is a proper way of discussing physics and maths in email. Of course, you can just use the LaTeX code, and mostly everybody will understand it. But wouldn't it be nicer if you got real formulas displayed in your Email-prog instead? But until now I found no email-program which can convert the code to graphics.

I've been searching for such a program/plugin a long time now. Perhaps somebody here can help me out.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you write code in HTML? Not that I could, of course.

I guess you could, but lots of people don't like HTML-mails. It wouldn't be very nice to use either.
What I'm looking for is a solution which makes up the formulas from the tex-code, just like the software in this forum does, everytime it sees a [tex]-tag. A plugin for Mozilla Thunderbird would be great, for example, but no one seems to have ever thought of it.

Get a Mac and use a program called equation service. You can write latex and the service will convert your code to a GIF/PDF. Gotta love the Macintosh!

faust9 said:
Get a Mac and use a program called equation service. You can write latex and the service will convert your code to a GIF/PDF. Gotta love the Macintosh!

As far as I know there are such programs for my Linuxbox, too. But I just want to get latex-equations displayed by a regular mail program, without opening a gif/pdf. Of course, the mail software may use the "equation service" or alike to create gifs and display them in the text, but it should do it from the received mails in which the formulas were entered latex-style.

I think this feature is so simple and useful that I can't believe nobody did it. Perhaps I'll try to figure it out when I learned a little more programming.

Anyway, thanks for your attempts to help me.

Try MathType.

Your work version of Microsoft office should have EquationEditor built in (if you can find it). MathType is an upgrade over EquationEditor and is compatible so you can transport equations from home to office, etc.

You can download a 30 day trial for free and if you don't buy it, the trial version reverts to MathType Lite - virtually the same as EquationEditor.

MathType Lite and EquationEditor equations can be pasted into E-Mails as a picture, but the MathType version is designed to work better with just about all your Microsoft office programs.

Edit: Darn, and I was hoping this had something to do with having an E-Mail affair with MathIsHard. :grumpy:

MrSeaman said:
Hi,

I wonder if there is a proper way of discussing physics and maths in email. Of course, you can just use the LaTeX code, and mostly everybody will understand it. But wouldn't it be nicer if you got real formulas displayed in your Email-prog instead? But until now I found no email-program which can convert the code to graphics.

I've been searching for such a program/plugin a long time now. Perhaps somebody here can help me out.

Thanks!
Ooooooohhhh, I like this way of discussion..

djeipa said:
Ooooooohhhh, I like this way of discussion..
What do you like in this dry, technical, humorless discussion, djeipa?

how do you use that LaTeX thing anyways?

Just click on any LaTeX "image" and follow the link you will see at the bottom.

what LaTeX "image"?

E.g. under Math threads. Or click on [tex]\frame{\text{ this }\LaTeX\text{ image }}[/tex] and then on LaTeX code reference link in the popup window.

Last edited:
[itex]/latex[/itex]see if this works

Have fun... :smile:

1. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting program used for creating professional-looking documents, especially in the fields of mathematics and physics. It is based on the TeX typesetting system and uses a markup language to format text and equations.

2. Why should I use LaTeX for creating math and physics emails?

LaTeX is the preferred choice for creating math and physics emails because it allows for precise and consistent formatting of equations and symbols. It also has built-in features for referencing equations and figures, making it easier to create complex documents.

3. Is LaTeX difficult to learn?

While there is a learning curve for using LaTeX, it is not an overly difficult program to learn. With some practice and the use of online resources, you can quickly become proficient in creating beautiful math and physics emails with LaTeX.

4. Can I use LaTeX for other types of documents?

Yes, LaTeX can be used for a wide range of document types, including reports, articles, books, and presentations. It is especially useful for documents that contain a lot of mathematical or scientific content.

5. What are the advantages of using LaTeX over other typesetting programs?

Some advantages of using LaTeX include its ability to easily handle complex mathematical equations, its consistent and professional formatting, and its compatibility with various operating systems. It also allows for easy collaboration and version control when working on documents with multiple authors.