Is Math the Secret Ingredient in Your Favorite Movies?

• Thread starter DeadWolfe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary: I just wish that since they deviated so much from the original story, that they had just kept going all the way and made Willy Wonka a much more twisted character.
I dunno... buy me a beaker and I'm all for it :biggrin: :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
34? my gawd, careful you don't break a hip

I don't think Tribdog will be posting tomorrow

no kidding, I need to take a day off just to get the picture of a "Beaker" which I think has something to do with penguins and oral sex, out of my head.

tribdog said:
ahh, you see, here's the rub. I don't care why you rated it so high. I didn't like the movie. I don't go to ratings to be told why a movie deserves a certain score, I go to ratings to find out if a movie is good.
OK, good point. I'll concede on that. Although in my defense, (I think) I'm with you on the how one rates. I don't really rate in the form of a "critique", I rate a 5 if I applauded at the end, and a 1 of I booed. The actual critique is secondary and is quite difficult to write mostly. Lately, I've given up and just posted the rating.

Moonbear said:
...not seeing another movie staring Tom Cruise ...
One of the things I liked about it was that is wasn't a Tom Cruise movie. At least, I've never before seen him a blind-terriified, cowardly shlub running so pell-mell for his very life as to not have any time to be a hero...

But I'll concede on your boycott.

BTW, you can afford to cut him some slack. He's going to fall very, VERY hard when the signed Contract-to-act-as-my-beard,-my-girlfriend-and-the-mother-of-my-child eventually leaks out.

DaveC426913 said:
BTW, you can afford to cut him some slack. He's going to fall very, VERY hard when the signed Contract-to-act-as-my-beard,-my-girlfriend-and-the-mother-of-my-child eventually leaks out.
I give this comment one star out of five.
Critique: While this post was filled with hyphens, even they couldn't save it from the dismal darkeness of incomprehensibility. I found the ending not only unsatisfying but unintelligible. And I walked way saddened for the 45 seconds of my life wasted in trying to figure out what it means.

Come to the meetings man! :rolleyes:

Tom interviewed several starlets to play the role of his girlfriend. The winner, Katie Holmes, is now pregnant - which is phase II of the sham. It is all a ruse to buoy his waning celebrity status. And it (may be) intended to hide this male sex symbol's true orientation.

When all this comes out, his star power will crash and burn.

Last edited:
no it won't. We are talking Hollywood here. If being a crazy scientologist hasn't hurt him being a homosexual sure isn't going to. Heck, if he wasn't so crazy I'd probably blow him and I'm not even gay.

tribdog said:
no it won't. We are talking Hollywood here. If being a crazy scientologist hasn't hurt him being a homosexual sure isn't going to. Heck, if he wasn't so crazy I'd probably blow him and I'm not even gay.
If he were a symbol of Christianity, and got himself baptized and then ordained in public, and then the world found out he was a Scientologist posing as a Christian - yeah, I'm thinkin' he would be rather less popular in the eyes of Christian movie-goers.

Yeah, there's some movies there that are rated quite differently to how I'd rate. Oh well that's personal preferences.

One though that particularly struck me was your rating of School of Rock. Well not so much the rating (I really enjoyed that movie btw) but the actual review. I seems that you reviewed a completely different movie there. Has there been more than one movie named "School of Rock" recently or did the video store put the wrong title in your movie jacket or something?

"Synopsis: A man recaptures his college days by starting a frat house.
Review: Suffered badly from Variety Show Sketch Syndrome - this was a twenty minute sketch blown up into two hours. Literally: the first twenty minutes were quite funny, and then the rest of the movie was really lame. Really lame. eg.1: The climactic action involved a bit-part character wallking up the the lead, introducing herself, and handing him an audio tape. eg.2: The subplot romantic interest, after a misunderstanding and stepping out of the picture, just stepped back in - the lead asked what happened and she told him the misunderstanding (i.e. what should have been the obligatory scene leading to their reconciliation actually happened entirely off-screen).

Man that review bares absolutely no relation to the the "School of Rock" movie (starring Jack Black) that I saw. I guess one of the reasons that I liked this movie so much was because I was expecting very little. I thought it was going to be some kind of lame teen movie of something, but I found it very funny and very enjoyable. Probably one of my favorite movies of the last 12 months.

Last edited:
Ack! You were reading the review for a completely different movie! That was Old School. It was entered with the same date as School of Rock, so the query mixed up the review. I've fixed it now.
http://www.davesbrain.ca/reviews.php?sort=D&dir=F&open=031002#031002" .

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the classification of Schindler's List as 'musical' is the highlight for me.

Attachments

• sl.jpg
    sl.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
haha I like the rundown of the rating system

"1 star : Terrible, stinky"

What is this guy, 8?

The Schindler's List Musical..what an idea.

"Und now, ve have Amoen Goeth and his Stormtroopers in a delightful little dance number set to the glorious sounds of breaking glass in Oh schön Kristallnacht !"

What's with all the high chick flick ratings?

DaveC426913 said:
... the review for a completely different movie! That was Old School. It was entered with the same date as School of Rock, so the query mixed up the review. I've fixed it now.

Yeah that's more like it, I knew you must have been talking about a completely different movie there.

I think the classification of Schindler's List as 'musical' is the highlight for me.
I've got a feeling that "Genre" field in that database probably just defaults to "musical" (or perhaps defaults to whatever the last entry was) if no genre field is specified. I noticed a few movies where the genre seemed to be incorrect.

What is this guy, 8?
Well to me that's only a very superficial thing. I'd rather judge it on the content of the reviews rather than such superficial nit picking.

Pengwuino said:

What is this guy, 8?
What? I should put more care into the rating description than they put into the script?

Besides, aren't you the teenybopper around here? :rofl: :rofl:

Curious3141 said:
Yeah. Uh, just call me Microsoft. I use my users as beta-testers. : sheepish : It was actually a mistranslation when moving the database. Dramas were listed as musicals.

Mindscrape said:
What's with all the high chick flick ratings?
Well, you can thank my wife, and a democratic** movie-picking system, for at least seeing those.

As for the ratings, well ... est-fest movies these days tend to be better written than the test-fest junk that's being pandered lately. I've been through all that when I was younger and frankly I'm getting bored of the zeros in the script budget being moved to the SFX budget. How many movies these days are reviewed with "great FX". Sorry, just doeasn't cut it anymore.

(**Our system: we alternate picks: hers, mine hers, etc. BUT you must provide TWO options. That way, the second person has at least the illusion having some say in what they see.)

I just saw Memoirs of a Geisha last night. pretty damn good with a high chick flick quotient.

I just saw Memoirs of a Geisha last night. pretty damn good with a high chick flick quotient.

DaveC426913 said:
Besides, aren't you the teenybopper around here? :rofl: :rofl:

I have a feeling I am older then you if you have all this time for movie reviews...

or unemployed

in which case... well, you could have joined the party if you insulted me last week when i was in the same boat :biggrin:

I am old enough to have been a teen when Star Wars came out...

And I'm not unemployed, I just like to get out to a flick about once a week. It only takes 15 minutes to write a review.

DaveC426913 said:
I am old enough to have been a teen when Star Wars came out...
And I'm not unemployed, I just like to get out to a flick about once a week. It only takes 15 minutes to write a review.

I want to go back to being able to see movies too :cry: :cry: :cry:

Where did all my time go all of a sudden...

Anyone saw bee season? It look like a good movie.