Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math in the Feynmen Lectures

1. Nov 7, 2004 #1
    I'm having trouble understanding the calculus in the Feynmen Lectures (I'm only in grade 11). Do you think it's better for me to learn some calculus before continueing or just to try and get the general ideas and save details for later?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

If you don't know calculus, you'll be lost that's for sure. The best is to learn it, but don't stop reading it, at least understand the concepts of the physics, which will prepare you for calculus based physics problems (most students know their math, but lack interpretation, the lectures should help on that)
  4. Nov 9, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you know nothing about calculus, you'll probably want to learn at least a little bit, first.

Enough so that you know that the derivative is the slope of a curve and the intergal is the area under the curve. And so that you can differentiate and integrate y=x^n if needed.

If you have some level of calculus, you might try taking Doc Al's suggestion (from another thread), a standard college Halliday & Resnick text.
  5. Nov 9, 2004 #4
    I know nothing about calculus really, so I'll learn a bit. Thanks for your replies.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?