Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math is beautiful

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    hello all and i just want to say that math is beautiful. the beauty of math can only be described in one word: stunning. Many shed tears of happiness during first Real Analysis lecture we had and many always gasp and stunned by beauty of proofs and conjectures in class because math is beautiful and I hope you see the beauty as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2
    I think those were tears of desperation.

4. Dec 5, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

Uh? Sure maths is indeed beautiful and interesting, but shedding tears during a lecture? The only time I heard of people weeping during a lecture was when the material was too difficult and they didn't understand it from start to end.

5. Dec 5, 2008 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I do think that math is beautiful, but I'll admit (as one who prefers discrete math) that I didn't see much beauty in Real Analysis.

6. Dec 5, 2008 #5
    I'm studying every bit of advanced math I can, now, just for fun. Same reason people climb mountains, I guess.

And I will admit, I was actually awestruck the first time I saw [tex]e^{i\pi} = -1[/tex]

7. Dec 31, 2008 #6
    math is beautiful, but not in a way to shed tears. Well, I still agree I love that e to the i pi equals -1

8. Jan 2, 2009 #7
    Likewise; I find linear/abstract algebra much nicer.

9. Jan 3, 2009 #8
    Yeah, analysis is awesome. It makes all those epsilon expansions in physics meaningful.
    I think topology is more awesome though... Seeing how one can prove a sheet with a hole is different from a sheet is incredible.

Now, combine the two, you get differential topology... that's double the awesomeness!!!

And I agree that math is beautiful... It's cold and rigid, with hard facts like a solid block of ice; yet, it can be abstract and soft, with twisting ideas and imaginative connections. But still, physics is more beautiful with it's deep intuitions and astonishing predictions of actual reality.

That's enough I think before sounding like an English major...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  10. Jan 3, 2009 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have absolutely no idea what anyone is trying to say here!

11. Jan 3, 2009 #10

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see no meaningful dissucssion of math in this thread... Off to GD.

12. Jan 3, 2009 #11
    Eww, math. Lol

I see beauty in math, but only higher math which I will never use/understand/etc. The rest of it, yuck.

13. Jan 4, 2009 #12
    OOoh...demoted to GD!

Errr...math is beautiful, but the process of learning it is pretty ugly (I say the same thing about physics).

14. Jan 4, 2009 #13
    Math haz a ugly.

15. Jan 4, 2009 #14
    True, math is cold and rigid. Its pure, there's nothing unnecessary present, its clean. If only real life were that way. It would be a LOT simpler, though I think that might take the excitement out of it.

16. Jan 4, 2009 #15
    "Math is beautiful" makes as much sense as "english is differentiable".

17. Jan 4, 2009 #16
    What makes you think that it isn't?

18. Jan 4, 2009 #17
    Because it's discontinuous at every point.

19. Jan 4, 2009 #18
    lol tears of desperation indeed

20. Jan 4, 2009 #19
    There was once a lecture about statistical physics, and I had no idea what the lecturer was explaining. I was merely sitting there, staring at the blackboard, wondering why I'm sitting there, staring at the blackboard. It seems that there was some other student who wasn't understanding anything either, and he started laughing in the middle of the lecture. I cannot be sure of why precisely he started laughing. Perhaps he believed that it was quite common for students in that lecture room to stare at the blackboard without understanding anything, and he then found the entire situation highly ridiculous? Whatever the reason was, he started laughing, which naturally draw attention from everybody else, including the lecturer. Then he got embarrassed, but could not stop laughing, and eventually he escaped out from the lecture room so that the lecture could go on.

IMO it was funny incident.

21. Jan 4, 2009 #20

radou

Homework Helper

Jesus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?