Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Joke (variation)

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1
    After the "I DERIVE YOU" math joke (posted somewhere in the stickys)
    Here is one having a similar punchline, but, in my son's opinion, with a MUCH better joke:

A constant function and an exponential function are walking down the street and they see a partial derivative. "Go over and talk to her" says the exponential function. "I cant, she'll differentiate me and I'll disappear!" says the constant function. The exponential function says "Okay, I will then. I'm e to the x!".

So he goes over and says "Hi, I'm e to the x!"
    The partial derivative says "Hi! I'm d/dy"

Yeah! :smile: (Also celebrating said son's graduation Master's Math at Exeter, so I am going to be telling all and sundry lame math jokes for about a week!) Yeah! Yeah! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2008 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What does this has to do with the calculus of VARIATION???

I am very disappointed in you.

4. Jul 2, 2008 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pass on congratulations to said son - on the graduation, not the joke. The said version also exists in the sticky.

5. Jul 2, 2008 #4
    Forgive me, its near the end of the day (here), and I should get danger money. I should have had the wit to put some humour into the title. - sorry!
    G

6. Jul 2, 2008 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I was excited at the chance of finally reading a good joke on the calculus of variations, a most trite subject, but all for nothing.
    :cry:

7. Jul 3, 2008 #6
    So are there any "I Derive Your MILKSHAKE!" jokes yet?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?