1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Joke (variation)

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1
    After the "I DERIVE YOU" math joke (posted somewhere in the stickys)
    Here is one having a similar punchline, but, in my son's opinion, with a MUCH better joke:

A constant function and an exponential function are walking down the street and they see a partial derivative. "Go over and talk to her" says the exponential function. "I cant, she'll differentiate me and I'll disappear!" says the constant function. The exponential function says "Okay, I will then. I'm e to the x!".

So he goes over and says "Hi, I'm e to the x!"
    The partial derivative says "Hi! I'm d/dy"

Yeah! :smile: (Also celebrating said son's graduation Master's Math at Exeter, so I am going to be telling all and sundry lame math jokes for about a week!) Yeah! Yeah! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2008 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What does this has to do with the calculus of VARIATION???

I am very disappointed in you.

4. Jul 2, 2008 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pass on congratulations to said son - on the graduation, not the joke. The said version also exists in the sticky.

5. Jul 2, 2008 #4
    Forgive me, its near the end of the day (here), and I should get danger money. I should have had the wit to put some humour into the title. - sorry!
    G

6. Jul 2, 2008 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I was excited at the chance of finally reading a good joke on the calculus of variations, a most trite subject, but all for nothing.
    :cry:

7. Jul 3, 2008 #6
    So are there any "I Derive Your MILKSHAKE!" jokes yet?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?