Math Joke: Constant & Exponential Meet Partial Derivative

• Thread starter GTrax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variation
In summary, the conversation revolves around math jokes and specifically, the "I DERIVE YOU" joke. The participants share a similar joke involving a constant function, an exponential function, and a partial derivative. The punchline involves the exponential function introducing itself as "e to the x" and the partial derivative introducing itself as "d/dy." The conversation also mentions the graduation of someone's son with a Master's in Math from Exeter and the disappointment of not finding a joke related to the calculus of variation.
GTrax
After the "I DERIVE YOU" math joke (posted somewhere in the stickys)
Here is one having a similar punchline, but, in my son's opinion, with a MUCH better joke:

A constant function and an exponential function are walking down the street and they see a partial derivative. "Go over and talk to her" says the exponential function. "I cant, she'll differentiate me and I'll disappear!" says the constant function. The exponential function says "Okay, I will then. I'm e to the x!".

So he goes over and says "Hi, I'm e to the x!"
The partial derivative says "Hi! I'm d/dy"

Yeah! :smile: (Also celebrating said son's graduation Master's Math at Exeter, so I am going to be telling all and sundry lame math jokes for about a week!) Yeah! Yeah! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
What does this has to do with the calculus of VARIATION?

I am very disappointed in you.

Pass on congratulations to said son - on the graduation, not the joke. The said version also exists in the sticky.

Forgive me, its near the end of the day (here), and I should get danger money. I should have had the wit to put some humour into the title. - sorry!
G

GTrax said:
Forgive me, its near the end of the day (here), and I should get danger money. I should have had the wit to put some humour into the title. - sorry!
G

I was excited at the chance of finally reading a good joke on the calculus of variations, a most trite subject, but all for nothing.
:cry:

So are there any "I Derive Your MILKSHAKE!" jokes yet?

1. What is the joke about "Constant & Exponential Meet Partial Derivative"?

The joke is a play on words that combines mathematical concepts with a humorous twist. It references the terms "constant" and "exponential", which are commonly used in calculus, and adds the phrase "meet partial derivative" to create a nonsensical scenario.

2. How does the joke relate to math?

The joke uses mathematical terms and concepts to create a humorous scenario. It also highlights the idea of combining different mathematical concepts to create a joke.

3. What is the significance of "constant" and "exponential" in the joke?

In calculus, a constant is a fixed numerical value, while an exponential is a function that increases or decreases at a constant rate. In the joke, these terms are used to create a sense of confusion and absurdity when combined with the idea of a partial derivative.

4. Why is the joke considered funny?

The joke is considered funny because it uses wordplay and unexpected combinations to create a humorous scenario. It also requires some knowledge of mathematical concepts to fully understand the joke, making it relatable to a specific audience.

5. Are there any other math jokes similar to this one?

Yes, there are many other math jokes that use wordplay and mathematical concepts to create humor. Some examples include "Why was the math book sad? Because it had too many problems." and "Why was the math book unhappy? Because it had too many logarithms."