Math Lapsus: Experiences & Reflections

• Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
In summary, PF had a math lapse where she was not able to differentiate between x^{1/3} and x^{2/3}. This might be indicative of a problem with her mental health or it could just be a normal part of aging. Borek will be sending her a private message to discuss her situation further.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Two days ago I met what I define as a math lapsus: a sudden moment when my self image about what I am capable to do in this ground stumbled. It was half a minute space where I was not capable to achieve differentiation of ##y=x^{1/3}##. Of course, it is ##\dfrac{1}{3x^{2/3}}##. I'm not in a bad shape, so I guess is something some of you share, or have experienced. Did anybody of you have had this weird lapsus?

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't provide diagnoses of medical conditions, but just for clarification, does this only happen with math? Or are there other occasions where you have this type of lapse in general activities?

Brain farts, senior moments, whatever you choose to call them - get used to it :wink:

Likes Bystander, mcastillo356 and david2
Does this belong to medical issues? I compare it with another field: some kind of lapsus linguae. In general, I keep things on track, that is my opinion: but, in response to you, I confess that ultimately I've experienced other of a kind disruption: ocasional stutterings.
I will contextualize myself: the older of four sons, 59 years old, good family conditions, health and mental things, they could surely be better...

@berkeman, thanks for your feed-back. I might take it serious, just to check it out. As this forum knows, I have psicologic advice once a month. I will report these low level failures to Vera, the woman that listen me and knows better than this forum. This thread might be another thing to share with Vera.
Love, PF

mcastillo356 said:
@berkeman, thanks for your feed-back. I might take it serious, just to check it out. As this forum knows, I have psicologic advice once a month. I will report these low level failures to Vera, the woman that listen me and knows better than this forum.
Yes, it would be good to mention to your doctor when you get a chance. As Borek says, it can be quite normal, or it could indicate something else. I'll send you a PM.

• Love
Likes mcastillo356
Keep a diary. It is better than your memory when you discuss this with your physician.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356 and berkeman

What is "Math Lapsus: Experiences & Reflections" about?

"Math Lapsus: Experiences & Reflections" is a book that explores the human experience of making mistakes in mathematics. It discusses how mistakes are an integral part of the learning process and how they can lead to deeper understanding and growth.

Who is the target audience for "Math Lapsus: Experiences & Reflections"?

The target audience for "Math Lapsus: Experiences & Reflections" is primarily educators and students in the field of mathematics, but it can also be relevant for anyone interested in the learning process and personal growth.

What inspired the author to write "Math Lapsus: Experiences & Reflections"?

The author, who is a mathematician and educator, was inspired to write this book after observing the frustration and fear that many students have towards making mistakes in math. He wanted to share his own experiences and reflections on the topic to help others understand that mistakes are a natural and valuable part of the learning process.

How does "Math Lapsus: Experiences & Reflections" approach the topic of mistakes in mathematics?

The book takes a reflective and personal approach, sharing real-life experiences and insights from the author's own journey as a mathematician and educator. It also incorporates research and theories from the fields of psychology and education to provide a deeper understanding of the role of mistakes in learning.

What are the main takeaways from "Math Lapsus: Experiences & Reflections"?

The main takeaways from the book are that making mistakes is a natural and valuable part of the learning process, that we should embrace and learn from our mistakes rather than fear and avoid them, and that mistakes can lead to deeper understanding and growth in mathematics and beyond.