Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math mad?

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    I seem to be doing better in math than science. It's the wierdest thing. In math, I only need to be told one thing once and it'll be placed in my mind permenantly and it's as though I think in math. In about every class, I see mathematical relationships in abundance. Like in English, we were discussing the what morals mean to a society. Well, I thought that a given society's progression must be related to how their morals are defined. As a matter of fact, while I'm on the subject, I will bring to light a study reported on NOVA on the relationship between population growth and industrialsm. Apparently, this relationship could be defined as a linear equation of a sort.
    Anyway, this entire week, I --this is going to sound really wierd---I kept having dreams about proving the Isosceles Triangle Theorem. Consistently, I have been doing math in my head. I found a way to find the internal area of any given arc (my teacher, when I showed her, said it was a sector) one day when I was bored, in the car.
    Math has become my easiest class. Am I going nuts here? It's all very interesting, but a little creepy. :uhh: Plus, I'm doing better in math than physics. Perhaps I need a little practice in physics...
    Anyone go through this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2
    In my class, the average mark for math is higher than physics.

What's the Isosceles Triangle Theorem?

4. Oct 31, 2004 #3

graphic7

Gold Member

That's the interesting thing about general physics - the math is rather simple compared to the actual problem you're given. Physics, especially general physics, is all about problem solving. Basically, you're relating a problem to equations and simple mathematics. Since I've been studying physics, my math abilities have greatly improved. I suppose it's related to the problem solving abilities I've gained from physics courses.

Also keep in mind you are taking elementary mathematics courses. If you pursue any type of science in college, the math will consistently become more abstract, and perhaps more difficult because of the abstract nature.

If you believe that general physics is difficult, it's probably because of your lack of experience in the field. Unlike math, which is applying simple and clear "rules", physics requires that you understand the math, and that you also are able to understand the problem to apply the math. The only way to do this is to work a wide variety of problems in the area you are studying.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  5. Oct 31, 2004 #4
    I can sort of identify with what you're describing. I passed through 7/8 of highschool math by my strict regimen of listening for the first 10 minutes and sleeping the rest of the time. This stopped once I took differential equations at a local college that last 1/8. I no longer was able to see the graphical nature of the math (that is such a part of calculus) that I had to *gasp* do problems from the book.

I found still no matter how good I was in math that physics didn't come easy. I blame it on the fact that physics is taught earlier than the math that was first used to conceive it. That's an easy way to say that I just can't do applied math without studying and it pains me to say that. I think "what about all of those smart people before me? Did they study like I have to? Should I just give up thinking I could ever advance our knowledge?" Anyway :)

As to that NOVA study, what is exactly the relationship? The *rate* of increase is proportional to the population increase?

6. Oct 31, 2004 #5
    Yeah, successful people typically have to work. High school is not representative of "real" work where you ahve to discover how to solve the problem as well as actually solve it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?