1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Majors and Science

1. Jul 14, 2009 #1
    I found I can finish up a math major with a minor in CS in a reasonable time, I am wonder which sorts of jobs will be available to me in that capacity? Ideally I am looking to work in the Scientific Computing field and am gearing all my electives towards that. I know there are a few Master programs in this regard that I will look at?

Also with my background, and all my science elective will be in physics, do I have a chance at taking into a Ph.D. physics program at some point if that is what I would like to do? Since most of the stuff covered is from the first few physics classes, I should be able to do well enough on the GRE?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2009 #2
    To lubuntu I'd say as long as you have taken the following physics courses you'll be fine for applying to a physics grad school:

-1st year physics
    -2nd year electricity and magnetism
    -Thermodynamics
    -Statistical Mechanics
    -2-3 quantum courses
    -2nd/3rd year classical mechanics
    -Courses in linear algebra, vector calculus, differential equations and either mathematical physics or complex analysis

That, I'd say, is the minimum for phys grad school

To Dr.LGM I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find a university that would let you create such a degree. Most universities will not let you do two bachelours at the same uni. And, even if you did find a uni you'd be spending 6-8 years just in undergrad and at the end of the day, once you start your first job, your undergrad creds basically will be erased (employers will only care about your employement creds) which will mean you essentially wasted 4 years, Regardless, I can't think of why one would want such a degree. People who design computer control systems and software a nasa have computer engineering degrees, those who design the spacecraft have aerospace, I wouldn't think many people (if any) have both since they really don't overlap at all.

4. Jul 14, 2009 #3
    Well "rocket scientists" are aerospace engineers. So I'd recommend majoring in aerospace engineering. After second year or so you'll then have a better idea of what's entailed and what specifically you want to specialize in and you might add a minor but for entrance I'd just say do standard aerospace engineering.

5. Jul 14, 2009 #4
    Hey hey hey wahts up with the thread hijacking DR.LGM your question has nothng to do with mine!

Thanks for the info maverick, I may not have time to take all those classes, if I show sufficent potential and I could always take them letter and I know its not unheard of grad students doing undergrad classes to wrap up some basic knowledge area?

6. Jul 14, 2009 #5
    Know certainly not. I remember in my quantum 4 class in undergrad there was a CS major grad student who's supervisor told them to take the class. The point being that, yes, there is always room to catch up once in grad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook