1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Masters (maybe)

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    I have just started my freshman year at the University of Texas at Dallas.
    I had the opportunity to go to Northwestern but turned it down for financial reasons.
    I am starting out in Pure Math. Currently, I hope to go into grad school to get a PhD, as I want to do research and tremendously enjoy rigorous mathematics. I have been spending a some time building my foundation in set theory, logic, and reading through Apostol's Calculus.

I have a substantial amount of AP credit and could graduate relatively quickly (in 2.5-3 years), with a BS in Math. From what I can see, UT Dallas doesn't have the best Math program out there. So I'm tempted to graduate in 4 years with a masters so that I can get some grad classes under my belt. Would top PhD programs look down on a masters for this reason?
    I'd also like to stay for 4 years so that I have more time to get some research experience.
    If I decide not to get the masters, I might go for a double major in computer science, but really nothing is as interesting to me as straight math, and I would prefer to take graduate courses.

Any advice from those experienced in the Math Track would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2
    I think that will be a great boost when it comes time for you to apply. Getting a BS/MS in 4 years is great, you should definitely do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?