Math/Science Meetups: Pursuing Recreational Interests Together

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of math or science related meetups for recreational purposes, similar to the website Meetup. The speaker wonders if such meetups exist outside of academia and if anyone has experience with them. They also mention the existence of science cafes, which are similar to what they are looking for, but may require a bit of travel to attend.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I was thinking about math or science related meet ups. Sort of like the website meetup where strangers with common interests who previously didn't know each other meet and pursue those activities.

Are there such things for people to do recreational math science or engineering? Or is this only in the domain of academia. This website is a substitute, but of course you have the lag time between responses, and it's not in person.

Has anyone heard of or done something like this? I sometimes think the society wouldn't have enough people in an area with an interest to do something like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting website, sounds like what I was describing, they do exist in my area but maybe a 45 minute drive

1. What are Math/Science Meetups?

Math/Science Meetups are gatherings of individuals with a shared interest in math and science. These meetups provide a platform for people to engage in recreational activities related to these subjects, such as discussing scientific concepts, solving mathematical problems, or attending lectures and workshops.

2. Who can attend Math/Science Meetups?

Anyone with an interest in math and science is welcome to attend these meetups. These meetups are open to people of all ages, backgrounds, and levels of expertise. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, there is something for everyone at these meetups.

3. How often do Math/Science Meetups take place?

The frequency of Math/Science Meetups varies depending on the group and location. Some meetups may take place weekly, while others may be monthly or even less frequently. You can check the meetup group's page or social media for their upcoming events and schedule.

4. What types of activities are typically done at Math/Science Meetups?

Math/Science Meetups offer a wide range of activities, including discussions, lectures, workshops, games, and group projects. Some meetups may also organize field trips to science museums or observatories. The activities are designed to be fun and engaging, catering to different interests and levels of expertise.

5. How can I find a Math/Science Meetup group in my area?

The best way to find a Math/Science Meetup group in your area is to use a search engine or check social media platforms. You can also join online communities related to math and science and ask for recommendations. Another option is to start your own meetup group and invite others to join.