1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Math methods for QM

1. Jun 29, 2017 #1
    Hi, people
    I wondered if as prerequisites for QM, the Kreyszig (for func. analysis) and Hassani's book they be suffices ..
    Thank you in advance !!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

It depends how deep you want to go in the mathematical formalism of QM, but Hassani is more than enough to go quite far. I don't know the Kreyszig book.

4. Jun 29, 2017 #3

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Kreyszig's book on functional analysis is very good. Chapters 10 and 11 will serve you well as an introduction to the mathematical underpinnings of QM. Should you choose another title, be sure it contains a good discussion of unbounded operators on Hilbert spaces. I don't know the Hassani book.

5. Jun 29, 2017 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Hassani and Kreyszig are very different books, serving very different purposes.

Hassani contains more or less all mathematics that a practical theoretical physicist may need in practical calculations.
    Kreyszig is a book specialized in functional analysis, which is not so much needed in practical calculations in physics, but is needed for a mathematically rigorous formulation of quantum mechanics.

There are two kinds of theoretical physicists, those who use mathematics more like engineers and those who use mathematics more like mathematicians. Hassani is for the former kind of physicists, Kreyszig is for the latter.

6. Jun 30, 2017 #5
    Which book by Hassani are you talking about? He has one on mathematical physics and another one on mathematical methods.

7. Jun 30, 2017 #6

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I wasn't the one that brought up Hassani, the OP did, so maybe he can answer your question. I do not know his book(s).

8. Jun 30, 2017 #7
    I replied to the wrong comment. My bad!

So, if your are talking about Hassani's textbook on mathematical physics, it's more than sufficient, not just for quantum mechanics but several other topics as well.

9. Jul 1, 2017 #8
    Yes, The math physics book !

10. Jul 3, 2017 #9

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted