Math Methods problem (Trig question)

Hence the solution is sin(x) = -1/2 or x = 7pi/6 or 11pi/6In summary, to solve the equation 2cosX + tanX = secX where X is greater than or equal to zero and less than 2 pi, we can use well-known trigonometric identities to rewrite the equation in terms of sin(x) and solve it as a quadratic equation. The solutions are x = 7pi/6 or 11pi/6.For the second equation, 2sinX + cotX = cscX, we can follow similar steps and use well-known identities to rewrite the equation in terms of sin(x) and solve it as
Sombra
I have 2 problems. First, solve 2cosX + tanX = secX where X is greater than or equal to zero and less than 2 pi. I understand that the secant is basically the inverse of the cosine, (hyp/adj), but I have no idea how to solve for this. I also don't understand how to solve an equation with 2 different trig functions in it (sin and cos)
Please help!

Also, it says solve 2sinX + cotX = cscX where X is defined by the same parameters as mentioned above. I have the same problem. Help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A few hints:
1. Multiply your equation with cos(x).
2. Use a well-known identity to exress cos^(2)(x) in terms of sin(x)
3. Solve for sin(x)

Basically arilno's ideas:

2cos(x) + tan(x) = 1/cos (x)

2cos^2 (x) + cos(x) (sin(x) / cos(x)) = 1

The well known identities: cos^2(x) + sin^2 (x) = 1, tan(x) = sin(x) / cos(x).

2 (1 - sin^2 (x)) + sin(x) = 1

2 - 2sin^2 (x) + sin(x) = 1

2sin^2 (x) - sin(x) - 1 = 0

This is a quadratic equation.

(2 sin(x) + 1)*(sin(x) - 1) = 0

sin(x) = -1/2 or sin(x) = 1

sinx =1 is not applicable coz it is not in the domain

1. What is a "Math Methods problem"?

A Math Methods problem is a type of mathematical question that requires the use of specific methods and techniques to solve. This type of problem is often seen in higher level math courses and involves complex calculations and critical thinking skills.

2. What is a "Trig question"?

A Trig question is a type of Math Methods problem that involves the use of trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to solve a mathematical equation. These types of questions are commonly seen in geometry, calculus, and physics courses.

3. What are some common strategies for solving Math Methods problems?

Some common strategies for solving Math Methods problems include identifying and understanding the problem, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using relevant formulas and techniques, and checking your work for accuracy. It is also helpful to practice and develop problem-solving skills through regular practice.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving Math Methods problems?

Improving your skills in solving Math Methods problems can be achieved through regular practice, seeking help from a teacher or tutor, and familiarizing yourself with different problem-solving strategies. It is also important to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts and formulas.

5. What are some real-world applications of Math Methods problems?

Math Methods problems have many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. For example, trigonometric functions are used in architecture to calculate angles and distances, while calculus is used in economics to analyze and predict trends in data. Additionally, problem-solving skills developed through Math Methods problems can be applied in many professional fields that require critical thinking and analytical skills.