1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Minor

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    I am currently enrolled as a 1st semester junior at clemson university (this is my freshman year though, just exempted a bunch of classes) and am a physics ba major. I've decided to minor in mathematical sciences and I was wanting to take higher level classes that would apply to advanced physical fields. Any course suggestions? (I've already taken Calculus I-IV so please don't include those in your suggestions)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2
    I'm doing a similar thing, but spread over four years. I don't really know what you mean by Calc I-IV, so I'll assume you've covered up to a semester on ODE's. After that, you'll need to study linear algebra, complex analysis, PDE's, perhaps differential geometry, and some courses on dynamical systems and numerical methods.

Just a thought, how do you plan on doing a physics major in 2 years? AP Physics isn't even remotely close to a rigorous first Mechanics and E/M introduction, if you plan to pursue physics, I'd definitely recommend retaking them. My school offers a "honors" track which more or less assumes you breezed through AP Physics and delves more deeply into the math and physics.

4. Feb 25, 2010 #3
    I'm still enrolled for 4 years, it's just that I'm listed as a junior, so I'm taking all the required physics classes. By calculus I-IV i meant I'm curently in ode so you're right, and I plan on taking linear algebra, but what is complex analysis?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook