Approximate and Exact Solutions for a Thermal Conductivity Problem

• Thread starter hitmeoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modeling
In summary: Yes, that looks correct. From there, you can find the general solution and then apply the boundary conditions to find the exact solution for the temperature distribution.
hitmeoff

Homework Statement

A slab is in a steady state with temperature T0 at x = 0, and T1 at x = 1. The thermal conductivity is given by K(x) = K0e[tex]\epsilon[/tex]x where |[tex]\epsilon[/tex]| << 1. The governing
equation is given by, [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex](K0e[tex]\epsilon[/tex]x [tex]\frac{dT}{dx}[/tex]) = 0

(1). Obtain an approximation solution to the temperature distribution by replacing K(x)
with its average value [tex]\bar{K}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\int K(x) dx}{\int dx}[/tex] over the slab (integrals from 0 to 1)

(2). Otain an exact solution to the temperature distribution.

(3). Rewrite K(x) = K(x) − [tex]\bar{K}[/tex] + [tex]\bar{K}[/tex] then term K(x) − [tex]\bar{K}[/tex] is neglected while replacing K(x) with [tex]\bar{K}[/tex]. Check consistency, i.e, prove that |[tex]\frac{K(x) - \bar{K}}{\bar{K}}[/tex]| << 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Any hints on how to even start?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

for 1) how about trying to perform the given integral to get the average conductivity

ok, I got the average conductivity to be the constant: (e[tex]\epsilon[/tex] - 1) ([tex]\frac{K0}{\epsilon}[/tex]) for [tex]\overline{K}[/tex]

So when I sub this back in I get: [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] ( [tex]\overline{K}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dT}{dx}[/tex] ) = 0

or simply [tex]\overline{K}[/tex] [tex]\frac{d2T}{d2x}[/tex] = 0

Now the solution of this equation should be T(x) = c1x

Last edited:
ok, your tex is a little difficult to read (click on equation below to see code), but i agree if this is what you meant, which i suppose makes it a little redundant ;)
[tex] \overline{K} = \int_0^1 dx K(x) = \int_0^1 dx K_0 e^{\epsilon x} = \frac{K}{\epsilon}(e^{\epsilon}-1)[/tex]

whats next?

lanedance said:
ok, your tex is a little difficult to read (click on equation below to see code), but i agree if this is what you meant, which i suppose makes it a little redundant ;)
[tex] \overline{K} = \int_0^1 dx K(x) = \int_0^1 dx K_0 e^{\epsilon x} = \frac{K}{\epsilon}(e^{\epsilon}-1)[/tex]

whats next?

Yeah, that's what I get.

So when I sub this back in I get: [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] ( [tex]\overline{K}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dT}{dx}[/tex] ) = 0

or simply [tex]\overline{K}[/tex] [tex]\frac{d2T}{d2x}[/tex] = 0

Now the solution of this equation should be T(x) = c1x with c1 being [tex]\overline{K}[/tex] ?

first you can write a whole equation between the tex tags

now second what are you trying to do? i would think a constant conductivity would lead to a constant temperature gradient, whilst the conductivity dependent on x will lead to slightly more complex temperture distribution. What is the exact solution of? I would take it to be the full temp gradient, but haven't tried to solve it

Well for one, I am supposed to just get an approximate solution for the Temp distribution.

For part II, I am supposed to get the exact solution. Let me work on that for a bit.

So for part 2, I "expanded" the D.E. and rewrote it like:

K0 [tex]\epsilon[/tex] e[tex]\epsilon[/tex]x [tex]\frac{dT}{dx}[/tex] + K0e[tex]\epsilon[/tex]x[tex]\frac{d2T}{dx2}[/tex] = 0 or
T'' + [tex]\epsilon[/tex] T' = 0 ...correct?

1. What is a math modeling problem?

A math modeling problem is a real-world scenario that can be represented and solved using mathematical equations and techniques. It involves using mathematical models to describe and predict the behavior of a system or phenomenon.

2. How is math modeling used in science?

Math modeling is used in science to understand and analyze complex systems and phenomena. It allows scientists to make predictions, test hypotheses, and gain insights into the behavior of systems that may be too difficult or costly to study directly.

3. What are the steps involved in solving a math modeling problem?

The steps involved in solving a math modeling problem may vary depending on the specific problem, but generally involve identifying the variables and parameters, creating a mathematical model, solving the model using appropriate techniques, and interpreting the results in the context of the real-world problem.

4. What are some common examples of math modeling problems?

Some common examples of math modeling problems include predicting the spread of infectious diseases, optimizing traffic flow, understanding population dynamics, and analyzing financial markets. However, math modeling can be applied to a wide range of problems in various fields such as physics, biology, engineering, and economics.

5. What skills are necessary for solving math modeling problems?

Solving math modeling problems requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also involves the ability to interpret and analyze data, communicate results effectively, and apply knowledge from different disciplines to a given problem.