1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math modeling?

1. Aug 18, 2007 #1
    heres the class syllabus:
    Introduction to fundamental principles and spirit of applied mathematics. Emphasis on manner in which mathematical models are constructed for physical problems. Illustrations from many fields of endeavor, such as physical sciences, biology, economics, and traffic dynamics.

So the 1/3 of the course will focus on mechanical vibrations, and the other 2/3 will focus on population dynamics and traffic flow

Is this course useful for physics majors? I think this class will use some programming, either c++ or matematica. Which is better to take first: modeling or complex analysis? I'll be taking my upper-div physics in the winter and modeling is offered in the fall

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you already write a program [from scratch] to help solve a [for starters, possibly simple] physics problem?

4. Aug 18, 2007 #3
    if its a very simple problem, then yes.

5. Aug 18, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Will you be taking any courses in computational physics in your program of study? or courses with a computational component? If not, then this mathematical modeling course you describe might be useful.

6. Aug 18, 2007 #5
    none of the physics classes I'll take are computational physics. They might require matematica for homework problems though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?