1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Math MS vs PhD for industry job

1. Jan 25, 2013 #1
    I'm currently in a Math PhD program (in the US), and I have the option of mastering out soon. I initially thought I might do pure math and go into academia, but have since changed my mind. So now I'm trying to figure out whether I should get the MS or continue on for the PhD.

My intentions are to get a job in the private sector, to be competitive in the job market, and to have a well-paying job (is 6 figures feasible?). I am quite comfortable writing code, so a job involving programming would be ideal. My school has a lot of people studying applied maths, particularly mathematical biology, physics, and imaging, and I'm pretty sure I could find an adviser in any of those fields.

So my question is this: Would it behoove me to stop at the Masters, or should I continue to the PhD, if job market competitiveness and paygrade are my primary concerns? If there is other information I should be providing when asking this question, do please ask.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2013 #2
    From the previous advice I've seen on here, it is a bad idea to do a PhD for salary advancement.

4. Jan 25, 2013 #3

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I believe that depends primarily on what field you intend to pursue your PhD in and whether you are already in a PhD program.

To the OP:

In a number of fields like applied math or statistics, having a PhD is often seen as an asset in terms of working in industry (many job listings for statisticians often state as their requirement either a PhD or a MS with several extra years of work experience). But pursuing a MS alone is not necessarily a disadvantage either.

5. Jan 29, 2013 #4
    Thank you both for your responses. It sounds like I could go either PhD or MS and still have good options.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook