Top Math-Inspired Songs for Focused Study Sessions

• Music
  • Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, the conversation discusses songs that are suitable for listening to while doing mathematics. The participants mention a particular music piece by Wim Mertens that is light and not distracting, making it ideal for mind-numbing calculations like derivatives. They also suggest checking out other music from the same soundtrack. Another participant mentions jazz as a potential genre for "math music." Lastly, there is a discussion about linking to a music video titled "There is a delta for every epsilon," which is found to be related to "The derivative song" and "New Math."
1MileCrash
Are there any songs you've designated as songs you like to listen to while doing mathematics?

I think my number one favorite is this piece:

Light, not distracting, and has that concentration factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I Will Derive x)

Rofl! The calculus book in the vid is also the exact one i have this semester.

This music piece (and others by Wim Mertens) is excellent. It's especially good if you're doing mind-numbing calculations like derivatives. With a little practice, you can do it on the rhythm of the music.

And this nice piece of music makes you feel like a genius and makes you see all the structures, numbers and theorems flying all around you:
Check out other music from that soundtrack!

I think jazz might be what you could call 'math music'. But, nothing too fancy.

micromass said:
This music piece (and others by Wim Mertens) is excellent. It's especially good if you're doing mind-numbing calculations like derivatives. With a little practice, you can do it on the rhythm of the music.

And this nice piece of music makes you feel like a genius and makes you see all the structures, numbers and theorems flying all around you:
Check out other music from that soundtrack!

I knew the second one sounded familiar! They use it on the euler's identity proof video.

But I think you forgot to link to the first?

Find the common factor behind "There is a delta for every epsilon", "The derivative song" and, of course, "New Math"

1MileCrash said:
I knew the second one sounded familiar! They use it on the euler's identity proof video.

But I think you forgot to link to the first?

Here it is: :biggrin:

1. What is math music?

Math music is a type of music that uses mathematical principles and concepts in its composition, production, or performance. It can also refer to music that is inspired by or based on mathematical ideas.

2. How is math used in music?

Math is used in music in various ways, such as in the rhythm, melody, and harmony. It can also be used in the construction of musical instruments, the calculation of frequencies and intervals, and the analysis of musical structures.

3. Can anyone create math music?

Yes, anyone with a basic understanding of math and music can create math music. However, a deeper understanding of both subjects can lead to more complex and sophisticated compositions.

4. Is math music only for classical or instrumental music?

No, math music can be found in various genres of music, including popular, electronic, and even rap. The use of math in music is not limited to a particular style or instrument.

5. Is there a specific formula for creating math music?

No, there is no specific formula for creating math music. It is a creative process that incorporates mathematical ideas and concepts in different ways. Each composer or musician may have their own approach to using math in their music.