Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math needed

1. Oct 23, 2013 #1
    I'm 1st year mechanical engineering student, I'm following "advanced engineering mathematics" by Erwin kreysizg. Is that book enough for the mathematical content for the next four years or else is there any more advanced math that i must take up after finishing erwin kreysizg.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kreyszig is comprehensive: "Kreyszig introduces engineers and computer scientists to advanced math topics as they relate to practical problems. It goes into the following topics at great depth differential equations, partial differential equations, Fourier analysis, vector analysis, complex analysis, and linear algebra/differential equations."

You will use this book throughout your career.

4. Oct 24, 2013 #3
    I don't think it teaches linear algebra in depth, but it has every topic depth when compared to many engineering math book.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  5. Oct 24, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first chapters are a concise review of material which should have been presented in individual classes - calculus, differential equations, linear algebra. This is presented here as reference material required for the more advanced topics which are covered in the latter portions of the book.

Of course there are other books available ... there are even several "comprehensive" books like this one.

IMHO, you can never study too much linear algebra ... and no book has room for everything.

6. Oct 24, 2013 #5
    During my four years as an undergraduate engineering student, I took many math courses:
    Calculus (several levels), Linear Algebra, Topology, Complex Variables, Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations, Numerical Analysis, and more, and each of those courses required a book itself.

I am highly skeptical that a single book will get you through all the math you need over the course of a four-year engineering program. Even if you are a math genius, you'd still need the books required for each course to do the problem sets.

7. Oct 24, 2013 #6
    Can you tell what are all the math course you did...?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook