Math Olympiad Problem: Proving a+b+c=d with 69 Distinct Integers between 1-100

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of picking out four integers from a set of 69 distinct positive whole numbers between 1 and 100, such that their sum will always equal another integer. The proof for this relies on the pigeon hole principle, where the smallest and largest numbers in the set are used to determine the number of possible pairs for the remaining two integers. This concept is also applied to a simpler math problem, and a book recommendation is given for further practice.
tongos
i have 69 distinct positive whole numbers between 1 and 100. i pick out 4 integers a,b,c,d. prove that i can always pick out 4 integers such that a+b+c=d. can this always hold true with 68 positive integers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
i'm assuming that you don't have to pick out a+b+c=d all the time but there exists a quadruple in your set of 69.

The proof relies on teh pigeon hole principle:
[1]let a and d be the smallest and largest of your set of 69 respectively.
[2]find the number of pairs taht b & c can be within 1-100 and the set of 69.
[3]Compare these two values.

thanks! I seem to know what to do now. The fun part about this problem is the pigeon hole principle. I love math problems like this one.
one of my favorite math problems (though simple) is this:
Prove that at any party, two friends at that party must have the same amount of friends present there (given ofcourse that if someone is a friend to you, you are friend to that someone).

if you need a good book to further your proving skillz pick up
"problem solving" by Larson.

1. What is a Math Olympiad problem?

A Math Olympiad problem is a challenging mathematical question designed to test problem-solving skills and creative thinking. It is often used in competitive math competitions for high school and college students.

2. How do I prepare for a Math Olympiad problem?

To prepare for a Math Olympiad problem, you should practice solving a variety of challenging math problems and develop your critical thinking and problem-solving skills. You can also study previous Math Olympiad problems to get familiar with different types of questions and their solutions.

3. What is the format of a Math Olympiad problem?

The format of a Math Olympiad problem may vary, but it typically consists of a detailed problem statement, followed by a set of constraints or conditions, and ending with a question or task to be solved. Some problems may also include diagrams or charts to aid in the solution.

4. Can I use a calculator for Math Olympiad problems?

No, calculators are not allowed in Math Olympiad problems. These problems are designed to test your problem-solving skills and not your computational abilities. You are expected to solve the problems using only pencil and paper.

5. What is the time limit for solving a Math Olympiad problem?

The time limit for solving a Math Olympiad problem may vary depending on the competition or the level of difficulty. Typically, you are given a set amount of time, ranging from 30 minutes to a few hours, to solve the problem. It is important to manage your time effectively and prioritize which problems to tackle first.