1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math olympiad problem

1. May 17, 2005 #1
    i have 69 distinct positive whole numbers between 1 and 100. i pick out 4 integers a,b,c,d. prove that i can always pick out 4 integers such that a+b+c=d. can this always hold true with 68 positive integers?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2005 #2
    i'm assuming that you don't have to pick out a+b+c=d all the time but there exists a quadruple in your set of 69.

The proof relies on teh pigeon hole principle:
    [1]let a and d be the smallest and largest of your set of 69 respectively.
    [2]find the number of pairs taht b & c can be within 1-100 and the set of 69.
    [3]Compare these two values.

4. May 18, 2005 #3
    thanks! I seem to know what to do now. The fun part about this problem is the pigeon hole principle. I love math problems like this one.
    one of my favorite math problems (though simple) is this:
    Prove that at any party, two friends at that party must have the same amount of friends present there (given ofcourse that if someone is a friend to you, you are friend to that someone).

5. May 18, 2005 #4
    if you need a good book to further your proving skillz pick up
    "problem solving" by Larson.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?