Math or Physics: Which Grad School Path Should I Choose?

In summary: Although it is good to have goals and motivate oneself with them, it is important to be wary of committing too early.
bluelikejazz
Hello There!

I am currently an undergraduate student at a state university in Pennsylvania. I went originally to study secondary education mathematics, however after meeting other education majors, and everything that encompassed the 'education major' I learned I was far more intelligent than any of my classmates, and I had far more of a passion / love for math.

So quickly I switched to a pure&applied track within Mathematics with a Physics minor, this happened all within freshman semester. Now just finishing my 3rd semester, I'm beginning to love Physics more than I ever imagined; I still love math, but there is something truly invigorating about physics that draws me in much more than math, well at least more than the pure math. Since the start of college (after dropping education) I knew I wanted to get an advanced degree.

My question is: For a student, even in my position (just finishing 3rd semester), I am beginning to question whether I should go to graduate school for Physics or Math. I know it's still early, but I'm just curious if anyone out there has had a similar situation and what they did and how they feel it affected their career and whether or not they feel it was a good decision in hindsight.

Physics news on Phys.org
bluelikejazz said:
My question is: For a student, even in my position (just finishing 3rd semester), I am beginning to question whether I should go to graduate school for Physics or Math. I know it's still early, but I'm just curious if anyone out there has had a similar situation and what they did and how they feel it affected their career and whether or not they feel it was a good decision in hindsight.

Most people probably have a think about it in one way or another, after all it is natural to wonder about your future.

It's part good, part bad. It's a good thing to plan - and you can use goals as a motivating factor to take part in extra acitivities, summer research, keep your grades good etc etc. The thing you want to be weary of when considering grad school just now is committing. It happens a lot with undergraduates - that is, people will take a class in something, or read a pop sci book about, say, cosmology. The student will then use this short experience to decide that they want to study cosmology. Some of these people will then neglect some subject electives purely based on how close or useful to cosmology it might be, when really the best thing to do (unless you're absolutely sure) is to try to keep your education well-rounded so you have as many options as possible.

fasterthanjoao -

Thanks a bunch. Yeah I'm trying to keep my options open as much as possible; I'm taking a variety of math courses (both pure and applied focus) and the physics program has a good mix too.

1. What is the difference between a math and physics graduate program?

A math graduate program focuses on theoretical and abstract concepts in mathematics, while a physics graduate program focuses on the application of mathematical concepts to the study of physical phenomena.

2. How long does it take to complete a graduate program in math or physics?

The length of a graduate program in math or physics varies, but typically takes 2-3 years for a master's degree and 4-6 years for a PhD. The length of time also depends on the individual's pace and research progress.

3. What are the requirements for admission to a math or physics graduate program?

Admission requirements vary by institution, but most programs require a bachelor's degree in a related field, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores. Some programs may also require a research proposal or previous research experience.

4. Can I specialize in a specific area of math or physics in a graduate program?

Yes, many graduate programs offer the opportunity to specialize in a specific area of math or physics, such as algebra, geometry, astrophysics, or quantum mechanics. It is important to research the program's faculty and curriculum to find the best fit for your interests.

5. What career opportunities are available with a graduate degree in math or physics?

Graduates with a degree in math or physics have a wide range of career opportunities, including research positions in academia, government, or industry, teaching at the college or university level, and roles in data analysis, finance, or engineering. Many graduates also go on to pursue further education in a related field.