Math or Physics Minor for EE Student at Bradley University

In summary: Consulting with your advisor can also provide valuable insights and help you make an informed decision.
Luke1294
Hey all,

I'm currently an EE student at Bradley University in Peoria, IL. We are required to take a "Professional Elective Stem" (PES), which is a fancy way of saying "electives that make sense together." For instance, there is a Mechanical PES which involves taking statics, dynamics, thermo, etc, or a Business PES which has enough credits to get oneself a minor in business.

I've been strongly considering applying my PES to either a physics or a math minor...and I'm hoping that you guys can help me map out the pro's/con's to each, as well as what each would vaguely look like in terms of which courses are normally associated with either minor. I have set up an appointment with my advisor to discuss the same matters, but that is a few days from now and I'm pretty impatient and would like to get a feel as to what either route would offer.

I should also note that I am intending on attending grad school, probably only for a masters, but who knows.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if that makes any difference in terms of which minor would be beneficial or not.Thanks!</code>Both a physics and math minor can be beneficial for a variety of reasons depending on the type of graduate program you are interested in pursuing. A physics minor will likely give you a better understanding of the fundamentals of physics and how they apply to engineering. A math minor, on the other hand, will provide you with a solid foundation in mathematics that will be useful for almost any field. In terms of the coursework associated with each minor, a physics minor may include courses such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, optics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. Math courses for a math minor may include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, real analysis, abstract algebra, and numerical analysis. Depending on the school, you may also have the option to include courses from other departments that are related to mathematics such as computer science or statistics.The choice between a physics or math minor should depend on what kind of graduate program you are planning to pursue. If you are interested in a field where a strong understanding of physics is important, then a physics minor would be a good choice. If you are more interested in a field such as computer science or finance, a math minor may be more applicable.Finally, it is important to note that both a physics and math minor can be beneficial for many graduate programs, so it is up to you to decide which route is best for you.

I understand the importance of having a strong foundation in both math and physics for an EE student. Both disciplines are essential for understanding and solving complex problems in the field of electrical engineering.

In terms of a minor, it ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. A math minor would provide you with a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications in engineering. It would also give you a strong analytical and problem-solving skills that are highly valued in the industry. Some courses that are typically associated with a math minor include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and numerical analysis.

On the other hand, a physics minor would give you a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and laws that govern the physical world. This could be beneficial for understanding the behavior of electronic devices and systems. Some courses that are typically associated with a physics minor include mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

Ultimately, both minors would complement your EE degree and provide you with valuable skills and knowledge. It would be beneficial to discuss your options with your advisor and consider which minor aligns more with your interests and career goals. Additionally, you may also want to consider your strengths and weaknesses in each subject and choose the minor that would challenge you and help you grow as a student and future engineer. Best of luck in your decision-making process!

What is the difference between a math and physics minor for an EE student at Bradley University?

The main difference between a math and physics minor for an EE student at Bradley University is the focus of the courses. A math minor will primarily consist of courses in pure and applied mathematics, while a physics minor will focus on the principles and theories of physics. Both minors will have some overlap in topics such as calculus and linear algebra, but the overall emphasis will be different.

Which minor would be more beneficial for an EE student at Bradley University?

Both a math and physics minor can be beneficial for an EE student at Bradley University, depending on their career goals. A math minor can provide a strong foundation in mathematical principles and problem-solving skills, which are important for many areas of electrical engineering. A physics minor can provide a deeper understanding of the physical principles behind electrical systems and devices. It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and career aspirations.

Are there any specific courses that are required for a math or physics minor for an EE student at Bradley University?

Yes, there are specific courses that are required for both minors. For a math minor, these typically include courses in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, as well as a few upper-level courses in various branches of mathematics. For a physics minor, required courses usually include introductory physics, calculus-based physics, and a few upper-level courses in specific areas of physics such as electromagnetism or quantum mechanics.

Can an EE student at Bradley University pursue both a math and physics minor?

Yes, it is possible for an EE student at Bradley University to pursue both a math and physics minor. However, this may require careful planning and may result in a heavier course load. It's important for students to work closely with their academic advisor to ensure they can complete both minors within their desired timeframe.

How can a math or physics minor benefit an EE student's career prospects?

A math or physics minor can provide valuable skills and knowledge that can enhance an EE student's career prospects. Both minors demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, which are highly valued in the field of electrical engineering. Additionally, a minor in math or physics can open up career opportunities in related fields such as data analysis, research, or teaching. It can also make an EE student stand out to potential employers and demonstrate their dedication to their field of study.