• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Math or physics

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am a second-year student and I go to a school with a not-so-strong theoretical physics department but a very strong math department. I am planning on going to grad school in theoretical physics.

I will have completed the physics major at the end of this semester and I am deciding which courses to take in the spring.

Will it look bad on my grad school application if I have a 5 to 1 ratio of math to physics courses and I write a senior thesis in math not physics and have recommendations from only math professors?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
If you plan on going into theoretical physics, then it should not hurt you to have a strong basis in maths. However, you should still try and take some physics/mathematical physics (relativity, QM, etc..)

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Also, I would say that you should have at least one letter from a physics professor if your planning on going to grad school for physics.

Also, I would say that you should have at least one letter from a physics professor if your planning on going to grad school for physics.
Does my adviser, who I haven't taken a class with, count?

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Does my adviser, who I haven't taken a class with, count?
I'm only a third year myself, but from my experience with REU letters of rec, it is usually good to get a letter from someone who knows you well and has had you for class so they can comment on your work ethic and such. It is also very useful to have a letter from someone who can comment on your research abilities and potential. I would consider the second more important if you are going to grad school, since your class room ability can already be somewhat assessed using your GPA.