Navigating Grad School App: Math vs. Physics Focus at School

In summary, the student is a second-year student at a school with a strong math department but not a strong theoretical physics department. They plan on going to grad school in theoretical physics but are unsure about their course choices and the impact of having more math courses than physics courses. They are also questioning if a recommendation from their adviser, whom they haven't taken a class with, will be beneficial for their grad school application. The advisor's letter may not have as much weight as a letter from a physics professor who can comment on their research abilities and potential.
ehrenfest
I am a second-year student and I go to a school with a not-so-strong theoretical physics department but a very strong math department. I am planning on going to grad school in theoretical physics.

I will have completed the physics major at the end of this semester and I am deciding which courses to take in the spring.

Will it look bad on my grad school application if I have a 5 to 1 ratio of math to physics courses and I write a senior thesis in math not physics and have recommendations from only math professors?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you plan on going into theoretical physics, then it should not hurt you to have a strong basis in maths. However, you should still try and take some physics/mathematical physics (relativity, QM, etc..)

Also, I would say that you should have at least one letter from a physics professor if your planning on going to grad school for physics.

G01 said:
Also, I would say that you should have at least one letter from a physics professor if your planning on going to grad school for physics.

Does my adviser, who I haven't taken a class with, count?

ehrenfest said:
Does my adviser, who I haven't taken a class with, count?

I'm only a third year myself, but from my experience with REU letters of rec, it is usually good to get a letter from someone who knows you well and has had you for class so they can comment on your work ethic and such. It is also very useful to have a letter from someone who can comment on your research abilities and potential. I would consider the second more important if you are going to grad school, since your class room ability can already be somewhat assessed using your GPA.

1. What is the difference between a "Math" and "Physics" focus in grad school?

A "Math" focus in grad school refers to a program that emphasizes the study of mathematical concepts and theories, such as algebra, calculus, and geometry. A "Physics" focus, on the other hand, focuses on the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. Can I switch my focus from Math to Physics (or vice versa) during grad school?

It is possible to switch your focus from Math to Physics (or vice versa) during grad school, but it may require additional coursework and approval from your department. It is important to discuss this with your advisor and plan accordingly to ensure a smooth transition.

3. Which focus is better for pursuing a career in academia?

Both Math and Physics can lead to successful careers in academia. It ultimately depends on your specific research interests and goals. It may be beneficial to speak with professors and researchers in both fields to gain a better understanding of the opportunities available in each focus.

4. Are there any overlapping courses or topics between a "Math" and "Physics" focus in grad school?

Yes, there can be some overlapping courses or topics between a "Math" and "Physics" focus in grad school, especially in areas such as mathematical physics or theoretical physics. However, the majority of coursework will be specific to your chosen focus.

5. Can I apply to grad school with a degree in Math if I want to pursue a "Physics" focus?

Yes, it is possible to apply to grad school with a degree in Math if you want to pursue a "Physics" focus. However, you may need to take additional courses to fulfill the prerequisites for the program. It is best to consult with the admissions department or an advisor at the school you are interested in attending.