1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math or physics

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    I am a second-year student and I go to a school with a not-so-strong theoretical physics department but a very strong math department. I am planning on going to grad school in theoretical physics.

I will have completed the physics major at the end of this semester and I am deciding which courses to take in the spring.

Will it look bad on my grad school application if I have a 5 to 1 ratio of math to physics courses and I write a senior thesis in math not physics and have recommendations from only math professors?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you plan on going into theoretical physics, then it should not hurt you to have a strong basis in maths. However, you should still try and take some physics/mathematical physics (relativity, QM, etc..)

4. Mar 25, 2008 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also, I would say that you should have at least one letter from a physics professor if your planning on going to grad school for physics.

5. Mar 25, 2008 #4
    Does my adviser, who I haven't taken a class with, count?

6. Mar 25, 2008 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm only a third year myself, but from my experience with REU letters of rec, it is usually good to get a letter from someone who knows you well and has had you for class so they can comment on your work ethic and such. It is also very useful to have a letter from someone who can comment on your research abilities and potential. I would consider the second more important if you are going to grad school, since your class room ability can already be somewhat assessed using your GPA.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?