Maximizing Your Math Ph.D with a Computer Science Minor: Expert Insight

• Programs
  • Thread starter Dmak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential benefits of pursuing a computer science minor for an undergraduate math student planning to obtain a Ph.D in math. It is suggested that programming skills are valuable in STEM fields, but having a minor in computer science may not have a significant impact on one's career. It is also mentioned that some programs, like computational finance, may expect graduates to have programming skills without requiring specific courses.
Dmak
Hello, I'm an undergraduate math student planning on getting a Ph.D in math after I get my B.S. in pure math. I am wondering if a computer science minor really helps say, if you plan on going into Cryptography, or if it is more like what one teacher of mine put it, "if you have an advanced math degree and you say you can program, people will probably believe you." The reason why I'm wondering is that I've learned a lot of the material for the computer science minor offered at my school on my own but, I feel as if I won't have that much time to finish up the minor and study as hard as I want to for the G.R.E. math test as well as the various REUs I will be doing. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
In STEM fields, there's a high likelihood that you will be doing some programing at one point or another in your career. Possibly, a lot of it. If you need the experience, then by all means go for it. However, having it show up as a minor on your transcript will probably have zero impact on your career.

Agreed. There's a computational finance degree at my school that fully expects 80% of its graduates to go into programming of some sort. But no programming class is required; they just expect you to pick it up.

I think your teacher is right, Dmak. If you can understand the Hahn-Banach theorem, you can do C++.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a computer science minor with a math Ph.D?

The combination of a math Ph.D and a computer science minor provides a unique skill set that is highly sought after in various industries. It allows for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications in computer science, making graduates well-equipped for jobs in fields such as data science, machine learning, and quantitative finance.

2. How can a computer science minor enhance my research in mathematics?

A computer science minor can enhance your research in mathematics by providing you with the tools and techniques to efficiently process, analyze, and visualize large amounts of data. This can help you identify patterns and make connections that may not have been apparent before, leading to new discoveries and insights in your research.

3. Is it necessary to have prior programming experience to pursue a computer science minor?

No, it is not necessary to have prior programming experience to pursue a computer science minor. However, having some familiarity with programming languages and concepts can make the transition smoother and allow you to take on more advanced courses. Many universities offer introductory computer science courses specifically for students with no prior programming experience.

4. Can I pursue a computer science minor while completing my math Ph.D?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a computer science minor while completing your math Ph.D. Many universities offer flexible course schedules and allow students to take courses from different departments. It is important to plan ahead and communicate with your advisors to ensure that you are able to balance both programs effectively.

5. How can I apply the skills learned from a computer science minor to my future career?

The skills learned from a computer science minor, such as programming, data analysis, and problem-solving, are highly transferable and in-demand in many industries. They can be applied to a wide range of careers, including but not limited to, software development, data analytics, and artificial intelligence. Additionally, having a computer science minor on your resume can make you stand out to potential employers and open up more job opportunities.