Math/Physics/Econ or Engineering

In summary, when deciding between UVA's School of Engineering and Applied Science and the College of William & Mary, consider your interests and future plans. If you're interested in math, physics, and economics, either double major may be a good fit. However, if you're looking for a more direct path to business/finance and law, the Economics and Systems Engineering major at UVA may be the better option.
Mr.B
Hello all.

I'm a senior currently deciding between some colleges, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to major in. I've been accepted into UVA's School of Engineering and Applied Science, and the College of William & Mary. I think I want to go into business/finance and/or law after undergrad. At UVA, I could double major in Systems Engineering and Economics (easily, because they would overlap should I concentrate in Economic Systems), or I could double major in a combination of math/physics/econ at W&M.

Any suggestions as to which may be a better track if I plan on going into business/finance and/or law?

Much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on what you're looking for and what your interests are. If you have an interest in math, physics, and economics, then either of the double majors could be a great option for you. However, if you are looking to develop specific skills for business/finance and law, then the Economics and Systems Engineering major at UVA may be more beneficial. This major will provide you with a better understanding of economic systems and how they interact with business and finance. Additionally, it will give you a better understanding of the technology and engineering principles that businesses and law firms utilize. Ultimately, you'll need to decide which route is best for you based on your interests and goals.

1. What is the difference between math, physics, econ, and engineering?

Math is the study of numbers, patterns, and relationships. Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Econ is the study of production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services. Engineering is the application of math and science to design and build structures, machines, and systems.

2. How do math, physics, econ, and engineering relate to each other?

Math is the foundation for all of these fields, as it provides the necessary tools and techniques for problem solving and analysis. Physics and engineering use math to understand and manipulate the physical world, while econ uses math to model and analyze economic systems.

3. What are some common career paths for those with degrees in math, physics, econ, or engineering?

Some common career paths for those with degrees in these fields include data analysis, research, teaching, consulting, and engineering. Graduates may also work in industries such as finance, technology, healthcare, and government.

4. How can I improve my understanding and skills in math, physics, econ, or engineering?

Some ways to improve understanding and skills in these fields include practicing problem-solving, seeking out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials, and participating in hands-on experiences such as internships or research projects.

5. Are there any current advancements or developments in math, physics, econ, or engineering?

Yes, there are constantly new discoveries and advancements being made in these fields. For example, in math, there are ongoing efforts to solve the Riemann Hypothesis and develop new algorithms for data analysis. In physics, there are advancements in quantum computing and the study of dark matter. In econ, there are developments in behavioral economics and the use of big data for economic analysis. In engineering, there are advancements in renewable energy and sustainable design.