How to solve math placement test questions #14 and #15?

It is used in complex numbers and is also used in certain mathematical equations and expressions.In summary, the conversation is about preparing for a college placement test and asking for help with specific math problems. The person posting the question is unsure about the use of the "i" symbol in the problems.
ussjt
I am getting ready to take my placement test for college, but it has been over a year since I have taken math. So could some one explain to me, in step by step form, how to solve #14 and #15.
http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/counseling/imgs/D-Test02.jpg

here are the answers:
http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/counseling/imgs/D-Test_Answers04.gif

Thanks for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, we don't do that here. We're waiting for the OP to draw the first blood. As an advice, never apprach any exercise without mastering the theory behind it.

Daniel.

P.S.Next time, post in the Homework section (it looks like HS to me) after having read the guidelines atop the HS homework help forum.

Last edited:
sorry, I was not sure what section to put it in. If someone could please move it, then that would be great.

About the problems...the only real question I have is what does the "i" symbol stand for. I remember seeing it before, but no one can seem to remember what it is.

"i" is usually defined as [itex]\sqrt{-1}[/itex]

1. What is a math placement test?

A math placement test is a standardized test used by colleges and universities to assess a student's knowledge and understanding of math concepts. It is used to determine which math course a student should be placed in based on their current level of understanding.

2. How long does a math placement test usually take?

The length of a math placement test can vary, but it typically takes around 1-2 hours to complete. Some tests may be longer or shorter depending on the institution and the number of questions included.

3. What topics are covered in a math placement test?

A math placement test usually covers a range of topics including algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and pre-calculus. The specific topics may vary depending on the institution, but they generally cover the foundational concepts needed for success in higher-level math courses.

4. Is it possible to study for a math placement test?

Yes, it is possible to study for a math placement test. It is recommended to review basic math concepts and practice solving problems similar to those that may be included on the test. Some institutions may also provide study materials or practice tests to help prepare for the test.

5. What happens if I don't do well on a math placement test?

If you don't do well on a math placement test, you may be placed in a lower-level math course. However, some institutions may allow you to retake the test or provide other options for improving your placement. It is important to talk to your academic advisor or the testing center for more information.