Calculating Volume of a Cylinder Using Integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a substitution to solve the equation v=(1/pi*Ro) integral 20(1-R/Ro)^(1/7) 2*pi*R*dR. The individual suggests a substitution of y=Ro-R and provides the simplified equation -40R_0^{\frac{6}{7}}\int(R_0y^{\frac{1}{7}}- y^{\frac{8}{7}})dy. They are thankful for the help.
jennypear
v=(1/pi*Ro) integral 20(1-R/Ro)^(1/7) 2*pi*R*dR
i know that i need to change my variable

started out y=Ro-R
dy=-dR

but haven't found a substitution that would get rid of my R variable

Physics news on Phys.org
?? R0- R certainly should "get rid of" the R variable. I'm not completely certain whether that first R0 is in the denominator with pi or not. I'll assume it's not.
What you have is [tex]\frac{20}{\pi}R_0(R_0)^{-\frac{1}{7}}(2\pi)\int(R_0-R)^{\frac{1}{7}}RdR[/tex][tex]=40R_0^{\frac{6}{7}}\int(R_0-R)^{\frac{1}{7}}RdR[/tex].
Let y= R0- R so that dy= -dR and R= R0- y. Then the integral becomes [tex]-40R_0^{\frac{6}{7}}\int y^{\frac{1}{7}}(R_0-y)dy= -40R_0^{\frac{6}{7}}\int(R_0y^{\frac{1}{7}}- y^{\frac{8}{7}})dy[/tex] which is easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks so much!

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder using integration?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder using integration is V = π∫ba(r(x))^2 dx, where a and b are the limits of integration and r(x) is the radius of the cylinder at a given point along the height.

2. How does integration help in calculating the volume of a cylinder?

Integration helps in calculating the volume of a cylinder by dividing the cylinder into infinitely small discs, calculating the volume of each disc using the formula for the area of a circle, and then summing up all the volumes of the discs using integration.

3. Can the volume of a cylinder be calculated without using integration?

Yes, the volume of a cylinder can also be calculated using the formula V = πr2h, where r is the radius and h is the height of the cylinder. This formula is simpler and can be used if the cylinder has a uniform radius along its height.

4. What are the units for the volume of a cylinder?

The units for the volume of a cylinder are cubic units, such as cubic meters (m3) or cubic centimeters (cm3). This represents the three-dimensional space enclosed by the cylinder.

5. Can integration be used to calculate the volume of any three-dimensional shape?

Yes, integration can be used to calculate the volume of any three-dimensional shape as long as the shape can be divided into infinitely small pieces that have a known formula for their volume. This makes integration a versatile tool for calculating volumes in various fields of science and mathematics.