Proving the Convergence of a Math Function: A Step-by-Step Analysis

• Thread starter broegger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation is about showing that a given function tends to 0 as x approaches infinity. The hint provided suggests using an inequality to show this, but there is uncertainty about the second term and its behavior as N approaches infinity. Different software programs are used to try and prove the result, but there is still confusion about the role of N and x in the function. Ultimately, it is observed that the sum tends to 0 as n approaches infinity, but there is still a lack of understanding about how this happens.
broegger
Hi,

I have to show that the function

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac1{x^2+n^2}[/tex]​

tends to 0 as [tex]x \rightarrow \infty[/tex], i.e. [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}f(x) = 0[/tex]. How can I do this?

There is a hint that says I should use the inequality [tex] f(x) \leq \sum_{n=1}^N\tfrac1{x^2+n^2} + \sum_{n=N+1}^\infty\tfrac1{n^2} [/tex]. It is obvious that the first term approaches 0 as [tex]x \rightarrow \infty[/tex], but what about the second term?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know that?

How do you know that

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{N}\frac{1}{x^{2}+n^{2}}=? 0 [/tex]

My Maple says it's undefined,as well as the initial limit...

Daniel.

Denote the initial limit by [itex] F =:\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} f(x) [/itex]

U can show that [itex] f(0)=\zeta\left(2\right)=\frac{\pi^{2}}{6} [/itex] and [itex] \forall x\in\mathbb{R}, f(x)\leq f(0) [/itex].

Daniel.

I've looked at the graph and the function quicky goes to 0 as "x" increases.

It's continuous everywhere on [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex] and has the derivative

[tex] f'(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(-\frac{2x}{\left(x^{2}+n^{2}\right)^{2}}\right) [/tex]

which is negative on the positive semiaxis.Therefore the function decreases continuously on the positive semiaxis.Since it's continuous,even and strictly positive,the asymptotic limits have to be zero.

Looking forward for critique.

Daniel.

but what about the second term?

It's a function of N.

(Notice that f(x) is not a function of N...)

Therefore the function decreases continuously on the positive semiaxis.Since it's continuous,even and strictly positive,the asymptotic limits have to be zero.

Why wouldn't the asymptotic limit be 1/10, or π4/792?

You know what, I would give a whole dollar if someone could explain to me why:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{a^2+n^2}=\frac{a\pi Coth[a\pi]-1}{2a^2}[/tex]

This is what Mathematica returns and I don't wish to suggest using Mathemtaica to prove things but I don't know how to prove the original question, and in my attempts to learn how, I've reduced it to the above. Now, you know what happens to the RHS as a goes to infinity right?

Interesting.My ancient version of Maple returned a difference of psi functions of complex arguments multiplied with 1/(ix).

Daniel.

Hurkyl said:
It's a function of N.

(Notice that f(x) is not a function of N...)

I can let N -> infinity and thereby make the second term vanish but then what about the first term which also depends on N?

It's a finite sum.

Hey in response to your question, I have observed that it's very easy to tell that the sum tends to 0 as n goes to infinity. As n^2 gets large, the x^2 term gets very large too at the same rate. Any # with an inreasing denominator decreases in value, therefore the total sum goes to zero. :rofl:

Last edited:
Phoenix Assault said:
Hey in response to your question, I have observed that it's very easy to tell that the sum tends to 0 as n goes to infinity.

"n" is not what is tending to infinity here. "x" is, as far as I can see. But even it it were n doing the increasing, the following still makes no sense:

Phoenix Assault said:
As n^2 gets large, the x^2 term gets very large too at the same rate.

Why? How does the value of n affect x in any way?

1. What is the purpose of analyzing a math problem?

The purpose of analyzing a math problem is to understand the problem and determine the appropriate method to solve it. Analysis helps break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and allows for a systematic approach to finding a solution.

2. How do you approach a math problem for analysis?

To approach a math problem for analysis, it is important to read the problem carefully and identify any given information or constraints. Then, define the unknown variable and determine what operations or mathematical concepts may be applicable to the problem. Consider different strategies and choose the most efficient one.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when analyzing a math problem?

One common mistake when analyzing a math problem is misinterpreting the given information or not understanding the problem correctly. It is also important to double-check calculations and be mindful of any potential errors. Another mistake is using the wrong formula or operation, so it is essential to review and apply the appropriate mathematical concepts.

4. How can problem analysis help with problem-solving?

Problem analysis is a crucial step in problem-solving as it helps identify the key components of a problem and determine the most effective approach to solving it. It also allows for a more organized and systematic approach, reducing the chances of making mistakes and increasing the likelihood of finding the correct solution.

5. How can I improve my skills in analyzing math problems?

One way to improve skills in analyzing math problems is to practice regularly. Working on a variety of problems and using different strategies can help develop critical thinking skills. It is also helpful to review and reflect on past mistakes to avoid making them in the future. Seeking guidance from teachers or peers can also assist in improving problem analysis skills.