1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Math problem finding the top velocity of an object with a certain force applied in a vacuum

Tags:
  1. Nov 4, 2017 #1
    ok i have a simple enough scenario that i need a hand with solving. first off just to say, i dont know how to do the math for it so maybe someone here could help me out.

basically has to do with finding the top velocity of an object with a certain force applied. all in a vacuum and without any form of resistance of course.

so lets say object A (a cubic foot rock, at a 100lbs in weight on earth) is motionless in space. and object B applies a 100lbs of force on the rock for a tenth of a second every 5 seconds..

oh and as the mass of the rock increase with speed the time between applied force will also decrease.

how long will it take to reach its maximum velocity and how fast will object A and the rock (object B) be going with it pushing on the rock at all time.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
    No can do. The speed of light "c" is the upper speed limit -- extremely energetic particles can get very close to c, but never reach it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  4. Nov 4, 2017 #3
    be open minded please. its just a way to say that object A is ONLY limited by object B. and how much.

5. Nov 4, 2017 #4

berkeman

No can do. We don't discuss fantasy in the technical PF forums.

6. Nov 4, 2017 #5
    fine then. edited. one moment.

7. Nov 4, 2017 #6

Ibix

Science Advisor

If Newtonian physics were true its speed relative to its starting frame would tend to infinity. It's not true, though, and in relativity the answer is that its speed will tend towards, but never reach, c relative to its starting frame.

In practice the speed would be limited by the fuel supply of whatever was doing the accelerating. When it runs out you can't accelerate any more.

8. Nov 4, 2017 #7

huh? who said anything about fuel. did u read it? no fuel, constant applied force.

9. Nov 4, 2017 #8

berkeman

Thread closed for Moderation...

10. Nov 4, 2017 #9

berkeman

As I mentioned, we do not discuss fantasy in the technical forums. And there are limitations for what can be discussed in the SciFi section of the PF as well. @Ibix was trying to help you understand the simple Special Relativity considerations behind your question.

This thread is not appropriate for the PF and is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook