Math Problem Issue: Deriving 4.12 from 4.11

• Thread starter matt222
  • Start date
It appears that the book's derivation is incorrect. However, if we assume that N>>n, then the final output of 4.14 is correct using the book's method. It's unclear why the sign is flipped when going from 4.11 to 4.12. It seems like the book has made an error in this step.
matt222

Homework Statement

It is not a homework but I will call it an homework for me, the problem for math derivation shown in the attached file, it is from the book I use. From equastion 4.11 we have to derive 4.12, in this step i disagree with output result since it should be (n-N/n) not as the book state (N-n/n)? does anyone agree or disagree with this first step?

second thing if we made our answer which is n-N/n is the correct one do you agree that the final output of 4.14 is correct once the assumption made N>>n! in this case I disagree with my answer and agree with the book answer but now how and why he flip the sign once he jump from 4.11 to 4.12 it doesn't make sense!

any help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• llll.jpg
    llll.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
In equation 4.11, it looks like the argument of ln should be N-n, not n-N. Since n<N, ln (n-N) would be undefined.

1. How do I derive 4.12 from 4.11?

The process of deriving 4.12 from 4.11 involves using mathematical operations to manipulate the numbers and equations. This can include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is important to carefully follow the steps and rules of mathematics to ensure an accurate derivation.

2. What is the purpose of deriving 4.12 from 4.11?

Deriving 4.12 from 4.11 allows us to solve complex mathematical problems and equations. It also helps us to understand the relationships between numbers and how they can be manipulated to achieve a desired result.

3. Can I use different methods to derive 4.12 from 4.11?

Yes, there are multiple methods that can be used to derive 4.12 from 4.11. Some common methods include using algebraic equations, geometric proofs, and logical reasoning. The method used will depend on the specific problem and the individual's preferred approach.

4. Is it possible to make a mistake while deriving 4.12 from 4.11?

Yes, it is possible to make a mistake while deriving 4.12 from 4.11. It is important to double check your work and carefully follow the steps to ensure accuracy. It can also be helpful to have someone else review your work for any errors.

5. How can I improve my skills in deriving 4.12 from 4.11?

Practicing regularly and seeking help from a math tutor or teacher can greatly improve your skills in deriving 4.12 from 4.11. It can also be beneficial to review and understand the underlying concepts and rules of mathematics to strengthen your problem-solving abilities.